HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

14 Holywell Street


14 Holywell Street

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1369395. The house dates from the seventeenth century, but was remodelled in the eighteenth century. Originally it only had two floors. Owned by Merton College.

An auction advertised in Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 24 January 1857 included this house:

Lot 2. — A 10-Roomed DWELLING HOUSE, with detached Stabling for 16 horses, Coach-houses, Harness Room, Offices, &c., in the occupation of Mr. Charles Symonds, being No. 14, Holywell-street, held by lease under Merton College, Oxford, for a term of 40 years, from April 5, 1848. Quit Rent 6s. 8d. and two pecks of malt; Land Tax, £1 7s. 6d.; present rental, £60.

The opening to the left led to the six houses in Park Passage behind Nos. 15 and 16, and the rooms above this passage were numbered 14A (or 14½).

14 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

No. 14
Charles Davis
(20), a stable keeper, lived here with Esther (30) and Frances (9), and Frances Hall (35). They had one female servant.

No. 14A
Richard Preston, a tailor, lived here with Elizabeth (40) and Richard (13).

1851

No. 14
Charles Davis (46), a stable keeper employing 3 men, still lived here with his wife Esther (43). They had two lodgers: a private tutor and an undergraduate.

No. 14A
George Durham
(36), a coachman, lived here with his wife Sophia (35) and their children William (8) and Henry (5).

1861

No. 14
Susannah Hutt
(34), a schoolmistress, lived here with two of her pupils (aged 7 and 5), a clergyman boarder, and one servant.

No. 14A
Betsey Hands (77) lived here with her granddaughter Eleanor Kirby (15), who was an apprentice dressmaker.

1881

No 14
Susannah Hutt
(57), a governess, lived here with one domestic servant.

No. 14½
Richard W. Drury
(72) lived here with his son George, and both were tailors.

1901

No 14
Susan Baker
(50), a widowed confectioner, lived here with her children Herbert (21), who was a butcher; Tom (19), who was an assistant school teacher; Mary (17), who was a baker’s shop assistant; Arthur (15), Frank (14), Kate (12), and Lucy (8). Her widowed sister Eliza Hartwell (56), who had her own means, also lived in the household.

No. 14½
Arthur Miller
(37), a photographer, lived here with his wife Agnes (33).

1911

No 14
Ernest Attwood
(37), an ironmonger, lived here with his wife Margaret (35) and their daughter Kathleen (3). They had one servant.

 

Occupants of 14 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

  Yard behind

Upstairs rooms to the west
(14A or 14½)

No. 14

1772
Survey of Oxford

Not applicable

Frontage: 4 yds 0 ft 0 in
Mrs Bloxham

Frontage: 4 yds 2 ft 3 in
Mr Loyd

1841–1851

Livery Stables
of Charles Davis

Richard Preston, tailor

George Durham, Coachman

? (JOJ of 18 Nov 1854 names Mrs Walker)

1857

Livery Stables
of
Charles Symonds

 

?

Charles Symonds

1861

Betsey Hands

Miss Susannah Hutt
Schoolmistress/governess

1866

Samuel Field named in 1861 directory probably lived here

1871–1881

?

Richard W. Drury
Tailor

1884–1887

Probably yard of Thomas Fenemore, the ironmonger at 14A and 15

Thomas Fenemore,
ironmonger/gasfitter

George Walker

1889–1899

Frederick Baker (to 1899)

Mrs Susan Baker (by 1901)

1901

Arthur Miller

1905

Godsell & Co.
Horse dealers

Gustav Mann, M.D. Edin, B.Sc. Oxon
University Demonstrator of Physiology

1911–1926

E. W. Attwood (also at 14A & 15)
E. W. Attwood, ironmonger & gas & hot water fitter)

1935–1936

Mrs Heaton

1945–1960

Leonard George Gray

1962

Clark Cunningham, B.Litt.

1964–1970

Rodney Needham, Ph.D.
Fellow in Anthropology, Merton College

1971–1974

Philip J. Waller
Fellow & Tutor in History, Merton College

1974–1976

Jack Beatson
Fellow & Tutor in Law, Merton College; later High Court Judge

At 14 Holywell today

Holywell Bed & Breakfast

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home