HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

17 Holywell Street (former King’s Head pub)


17 Holywell Street

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1087082. The house dates from the sixteenth/seventeenth century. Owned by Merton College.

This was the King’s Head pub until 1926. King’s Head Passage ran down the west side of the building.

17 Holywell Street (the King's Head) in the censuses

1841

The 1841 census for Holywell does not give house numbers, but it is possible to deduce where people listed that year lived by examining directory entries between 1839 and 1842 and later censuses

Thomas Howlett (30), a victualler, lived here with Ann (25) and two male servants.

William Talmage (60), a tailor, also lived here at No. 17 with Elizabeth (60).

1851

James King (39), the victualler of the King’s Head, lived here with his wife Sarah (42) and three lodgers.

1861

James Percy (34), the victualler of the King’s Head, lived here with his wife Ann (36) and children John (8), William (7), and Anne (2). They also had a boarder.

1871

James Percey (44), described as innkeeper, lived here at the King's Head with his wife Ann (46) and their children John (18), who a a groom, William (16), who was a porter, James (13), Ann (12), Alfred (8), Harry (6), and Fred (3).

1881

Edwin Slatter (52), the publican of the King’s Head, lived here with his wife Susan (47) and his children Adelaide (24), George (20), who was a carpenter, Edwin (12), and Alexander (9). They had a labourer boarding with them, and a gardener as their lodger.

1891

James Hayter (32), described as a shoeing smith, was living here at the King's Head with his wife Alice (31) and their children Jane (4) and Alice (1). They had one general servant and a lodger.

1901

Francis Tubb (33), a publican, lived at the King’s Head with his wife Harriett (30) and his children Florence (7) and Francis (6).

1911

Kate Webber (51), a widowed innkeeper, lived at the King’s Head with her son Frederick (25), who was a blacksmith, her daughters Lily (22) and Beatrice (16), and her niece Beatrice Wooldridge (8).

Occupants of 17 Holywell Street (former King's Head) listed in directories etc.

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 7 yds 1 ft 9 in
Mr Talmage

1830

George Hands, King's Head

1839

Thomas Howlett, King's Head

1841–1846

James Simms, King's Head
(but Aaron Thornton listed there in 1842)

William Talmage, tailor (1842 only)

1851–1899

King’s Head public house

James King (1851–1852)
James Perry or Percy (1861–1876)
Edwin Slatter(1881–1889)
James Lawrence Hayter (1894–1899)

1901–1921

Francis Tubb (1901)
Mrs Kate Webber (1905)
Edward Richardson (1914–1921)

1930

Kenneth James Franklin, D.M., M.A., Fellow & Lecturer in Physiology, Oriel College,
and Mrs Ethel A. Franklin, M.B., Ch.B., ophthalmic surgeon

1935–1936

Mrs Allison-Brown

1945–1947

John D. C. Curtis

1952–1976

Gerald Merton, M.C., M.A., Ph.D., F.R.A.S.

Today

Private house, owned by Merton College

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home