HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

Kings Head Passage (formerly between Nos. 17 & 18)


King's Head passage

King's Head passage in 1876

King’s Head Passage ran down the west side of the King’s Head pub at No. 17, where the blue side-door is now (above left). The 1876 OS map (above right) shows that at the end of the pub’s backyard there was another passage between two outbuildings, and presumably the houses were the three buildings beyond that. By 1900, the houses in the passages have disappeared.

Jane Burden was living with her parents in this passage in 1851.

King’s Head Passage (between 17 & 18 Holywell Street) in the censuses

1841

1851

No. 1 King’s Head Yard
Robert Burden (41), a groom, lived here with his wife Ann (45) and their son William (14), who was a college messenger, and their daughters Jane (11) and Elizabeth (9).

No. 2 King’s Head Yard
Ann Carter
(44), an unmarried laundress, lived here.

No. 3 King’s Head Yard
Maria Brownlow
(50), a widow, lived here with her son William (28), who was a tailor, and her daughters Ann (18) and Elizabeth (14).

1861

No. 1 King’s Head Passage
David Blay
(30), a cook at New College, lived here with his wife Hannah (26) and his children ?Asslaide (5), David (3), and ?Nelia (2).

No. 2 King’s Head Passage
Mary Vickers (44), a sempstress, lived here with her nephew, Charles R. Bradley (14).

No. 3 King’s Head Passage
William Brownlow (30), an unmarried tailor & robemaker, lived here alone.

1881

No. 1 King’s Head Passage
John Kitchen (66), a railway porter, lived here with his wife Emma (45) and his niece Emma Walker (9). They had a coachman lodging with them.

No. 2 King’s Head Passage
James Flexney
 (27), an unmarried cordwainer, lived here with his 3-yeard old widowed mother Elizabeth.

No. 3 King’s Head Passage
William Brownlow
(58), an unmarried master tailor, was still living here alone.

1901

Demolished by this date.

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home