HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

19 Holywell Street


19 Holywell

Plan drawing by Hurst showing the knucklebone floor in No. 19
(plan photographed by Henry Taunt in 1909)

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1087089. Refronted in the eighteenth/nineteenth century. Owned by Merton College.

19 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

John Pinfold (60), a butcher, lived here with a family called Stephens. Richard Stephens (50) was a farmer, and he lived with Ann (50) and Elizabeth (20) and John (20) and George (15), both of whom were butchers.

1851

George Stevens (30), an unmarried “Purveyor employing 5 men and Farmer of 170 Acres and employing 98 men”, lived here with his widowed father Richard Stevens (75), who was an annuitant, and one house servant and one trade servant.

1861

John Stevens (47), a butcher, lived here with his wife Hannah (41) and his children Avis (11), George (9), Jane (5), and Alfred (3). They had three servants (a cook and two housemaids).

1881

George Carter (39), a schoolmaster (BA Oxon) lived here with his wife Emily (38) and his children Ernest (13), Arthur (11), Francis (9), and Florence (7). The family had one housemaid.

1901

George Carter (39), a schoolmaster, lived here with his wife Emily (57) and his unmarried daughter Florence (27). They had two servants (a cook and a housemaid).

1911

Edward J. Giles (54), a draper’s manager, lived here with his wife Julia (46) and his sons Reginald (13) and Basil (3). They had two undergraduate boarders and one servant.

 

Occupants of 19 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 9 yds 2 ft 6 in
Mr Potts

1830–1842

John Pinfold
Butcher

1846–1876

John & George Stevens, butchers in 1846
John Stevens in 1861
Mrs Stevens, Butcher by 1866

1881–1896

George Carter, B.A.,
Head master at New College School

1905

Edward James Giles
University lodging house

1914–1916

Oxford University Elementary Training College
+ Edward James Giles, university lodging house

1926–1936

Girls’ Friendly Society & Hostel (and Diocesan office in 1936)

1945–1976

Oscar Robson Webster
S. Webster in 1976

At 19 Holywell today

Merton College annexe

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home