HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

20 (& 21) Holywell Street


20 Holywell Street

No. 20 is a Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1369396. The house dates from the early seventeenth century and was refashioned in the eighteenth century. Owned by Merton College.

The second door to the left of this building marks the side passage of the former No. 21, which was demolished in about 1891 to make way for the new Mansfield Road. This passage was remodelled as part of No. 20 in the early 1970s.

A third house, 21A, was in the back garden of No. 21, and the Luker plumbing and glazing business was based there for over fifty years.

On 17 April 1847 the following advertisement relating to No. 21 appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal:

WILLIAM LEWIS LUKER, PLUMBER, GLAZIER, AND PAINTER, Begs respectfully to inform the Nobility, Gentry, and the Public generally, that he has taken to the business and premises, No. 21 Holywell-street, so successfully carried on by his late lamented Father for upwards of 40 years, and trusts that by strict attention and moderate charges to merit a continuance of their patronage and support.

On 22 May 1847 the following advertisement relating to all three houses in this group appeared:

VALUABLE LEASEHOLD DWELLING HOUSES, With excellent GARDEN, In HOLYWELL STREET, Oxford. Also a desirable detached GARDEN, with Summer House, &c. IN THE PARKS, OXFORD. Calculated for investment or occupation, and is well worth the attention of capitalists, a sale being absolutely indispensable.

TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, By Messrs. T. MALLAM and Son, At the sign of the Roebuck Inn, Oxford, on Thursday the 3d day of June, at six o’clock (by the direction of the executrix of the late Mr. William Carter), in the following lots:—

Lot 1. — A comfortable PRIVATE DWELLING HOUSE, No. 20, Holywell-street, containing an entrance passage, sitting room, and kitchen, on the ground floor; drawing room and two large closets on the first floor, three bed rooms and two closets on the second floor, and attic over; pump of good water, scullery, and other out-offices, two cellars, and a good garden at the back of the same, now in the occupation of Mr. Wells. Also a DWELLING HOUSE adjoining, being No. 21, containing a sitting room, Kitchen, scullery &c. on the ground floor; sitting room and bed room on the first floor, and three bed rooms over; cellar, pump of good water, small garden, out-offices, and other conveniences, in the occupation of Mrs. Hellier. Quit rent 18s., and a land tax.

Lot 2. — A very good DWELLING HOUSE, situate at the back of the above, and in which the business of a plumber and glazier has been carried on for a great number of years past; containing two good sitting rooms, five bed chambers, domestic offices, cellaring, &c. &c., with detached workshops, large yard, &c.; and also two enclosed large and very productive Gardens at the back of the same; the whole in length from the front of the dwelling to the Parks 312 feet. Quit rent 15s. and a land tax.

Lot 3. — A very excellent Piece of GARDEN GROUND, with Summer House thereon, situate in the Parks, Oxford, containing a frontage to the public path at the back of Holywell-street of 39½ feet, by a depth of 297½ feet. Quit rent 2s. 3d.

This property is held by lease under Merton college for a term of 40 years, from Lady Day, 1837.

May be viewed at any time previous to sale by leave of the tenants, and any further particulars obtained of Mr. Mathews, solicitor, and of the auctioneers, High-street, Oxford.

No. 20 and the house behind were offered for sale again on 16 December 1848 in two lots:

Valuable LEASEHOLD PROPERTY, IN THE PARISH OF HOLYWELL, OXFORD

TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, By Messrs. I. and W. FISHER,
On Wednesday the 20th December, 1848, at the King’s Arms Inn, at Six o’clock, in two lots.

Lot 1. — A substantially-built and commodious DWELLING HOUSE, No. 20, Holywell-street, with ample accommodation for the occupation by a large family, extensive garden in the rear thereof, out-buildings and stable, with door-way opening to the path leading towards Holywell Church. The House might, with little expense, be made into two. — This lot extends in depth, from the street to the path, 393 feet.

Lot 2. — A convenient and retired COTTAGE, situate in the centre of two large gardens at the back of Lot 1, and divided therefrom by the path leading to Holywell Church above-mentioned, and is in depth, from the path to the back, 284ft. 10 in.

The above premises are held by Lease under the Warden and Scholars of Merton College, Oxford, for the remainder of a term of 40 years, from Lady Day, 1838.

20 and the former 21/21A Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

No. 20
?

No. 21
William Luker
(30), a plumber, lived here with Mary (30).

No. 21A
Harry Luker
(25), a writer, lived here with Mary Ann (25), and George (20), who was a plumber. They had one female servant.

1851

No. 20
Thomas Fidler
(46), butler at St Mary’s Hall, lived here with his wife Maria (47) and one house servant.

No. 21
Alexander Reinagle
(51) lived here with his wife Caroline (33). Both were teachers of music, and they had one servant.

No. 21½
William L. Luker (42), a plumber employing two men and one boy, lived here with his wife Mary (41). They had a graduate of Brasenose College lodging with them.

1861

No. 20
Thomas Fidler
(60), now manciple of St Mary Hall, lived here with his niece Sarah Harrington (27), who acted as his housekeeper, and two boarders. They had one house servant.

No. 21
Alexander R. Reinagle
(61) lived here with his wife Caroline, and both are described as teachers of music. They had one servant.

No. 21A
Mary Luker
(57), a widow, lived here with her nephew George Beddall (25) (with both described as plumbers & glaziers), and her niece Emily Kentland.

1881

No. 20
Thomas Lucas
(56), a lodging house keeper, lived here with his wife Mary (54) and his two sons: William (20) was a railway clerk and Arthur (19) a post office clerk.

No. 21
George Eve (31), a college porter, lived here with his wife Esther (32) and his children Albert (7), Ernest (5), Charles (2), and Ellen (1).

No. 21A
Henry Owen Crane
(38), a lay clerk, and plumber & painter employing five men, lived here with his wife Ellen and his son William (12).

1901

No. 20
Mary Walker
(52), a married lodging house keeper, lived here with her daughters Gertrude (26); Maggie (23), who was a clerk in the Post Office; Winifred (21), who was a florist’s shop assistant; Constance (16), and Freda (12). A retired innkeeper aged 85 lived with them as a boarder, and they had a 14-year-old servant girl.

1911

No. 20
Gertrude Walker
(37), a lodging house keeper, lived here with her sister Constance (26) who assisted her. Both were unmarried.

Occupants of 20/21 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

 

Former
No. 21
(left)

No. 21A
(was behind 21)

No. 20 (right)

1772
Survey of Oxford

Possibly gateway
of Mr Johnson, 6 yds 0 ft 10 in

No frontage
on the street

Frontage:  10 yds 0 ft 7 in:
Mr Madegon

1846

Mrs Deborah Bennet

George L. Luker
Plumber
(18391846)

William Lewis Luker
Painter & glazier (1841–1852)

Mrs Emily Luker

Thomas Wells

1847

Mrs Hellier

18511852

Alexander Robert
Reinagle

Teacher of Music
(formerly at No. 55)

Thomas Fidler
Manciple, St Mary Hall

1861

1866

George Beddall,
Plumber, painter
(died in 1867)

1871–1876

George 
Vincent

H. P. Crane
Plumber, painter,
& glazier (1872)

Henry Owen Crane
Plumber, painter
& glazier (1887)

George Crane
Plumber, painter,
& glazier
(by 1889)

Thomas Lucas
Lodging house keeper

1881–1889

George Eve

1894–1896

Part of site of
Mansfield Road

George Eve
Lodging house

1899–1916

Miss Walker, University lodging house
with Henry Owen Crane (executors of), plumbers at 21A in 1899

1921

D. E. Norton

1926

Revd Canon Thomas Birkett Dover, M.A.

1935–1936

Geoffrey Reginald Gilchrist Mure
Senior Tutor, Merton College

1945

St Hugh’s College House

1947–1958

Robert Graham Cochrane Levens
Fellow of Merton College

1958–1972

Dennis S. Parsons, M.A., D.M
(listed with previous occupier Levens in 1958 only)

1974–1985

Philip J. Waller
Fellow & Tutor in History, Merton College

1986

Annexe for Graduate Students
Planning application NFH/833/86

At 20/21 Holywell today

Merton College Tutor’s house

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home