HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

24 Holywell Street


24 Holywell Street

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1087060. The house dates from the seventeenth century, with an eighteenth-century roughcast rubble front. Owned by Harris Manchester College.

24 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

Thomas Whitlock (40), a grocer, lived here with Ann (30), Emily (10), and Laura (6). They had one lodger.

1851

William Pratley (58), a college servant, lived here with his wife Mary (43) and his children Elizabeth (17), William (14), Mary (12), Kate (10), Sarah (7), Henry (5), and Louisa (1), and a lodger.

1861

Henry Godfrey (26), a college servant, lived here with his wife Mary Ann (21) and his daughter Florence (1).

1881

Mary Eliza Merritt (48), an unmarried stationer and teacher of music, lived here with her two nieces Alice Merritt (25), who was a stationer’s assistant, and Edith (13) who was still at school. She also had a retired college bedmaker as her lodger.

1901

Mary E. Merritt (68) still lived here, running a stationer and bookseller’s shop, helped by her niece Alice (45), who is described as a shop assistant.

1911

Mary Eliza Merritt (79) and her niece Alice (55) were still stationers here.

Occupants of 24 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 5 yds 0 ft 3 in
Mr Piddington

1830–1846

Thomas Whitlock or Whitelock
Grocery dealer

18511852

William Pratley
Grocer

1861

Henry Godfrey
College servant

1866

Thomas O. James, tobacconist
+ H. Godfrey

1871–1914

Miss Mary Eliza Merritt
Seminary in 1872 only
Variously Stationer, perfumer, carver, & picture frame maker

1926

Holywell Cash Bookshop
Booksellers

1935–1936

Ronald M. Osborne, Confectioner
+ H. B. Thompson, private tutor and H. G. Goddard, architect

1945–1967

Maes & Co, Confectioners

Mrs Cairns

1970–1976

No listing

1987

Planning Application NFH/286/87
Permission granted to Harris Manchester College
for change of use from unoccupied office to retail

At 24 Holywell today

Alternative Tuck Shop

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home