HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

26 Holywell Street


26 Holywell Street

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1369377. The house probably dates from the seventeenth century, but has been altered. Owned by Harris Manchester College.

This house has “H.P. XVIII” inscribed on the lintel, indicating that before Holywell Street was given its present numbering system in 1837, it was numbered 18 rather than 26 Holywell Street (with the H.P. presumably standing for “Holywell Parish”.

This house was a boarding school from at least 1846 to 1866, first for boys, and then for girls, and then for boys again. On 18 May 1861 the following advertisement appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal:

NOTICE OF REMOVAL: Hope House Boarding and Day School, 39, HOLYWELL, Oxford.
Mr Barling begs respectfully to inform parents and guardians that the increasing number of his pupils have compelled him to take to larger and more convenient Premises, situate in Holywell-street (No. 26), where his pupils will have the advantages of a large and well-ventilated school-room and a good recreation ground. The Principal will have pleasure in forwarding prospectuses.
A Second Master will be required after Midsummer.

At the beginning of the twentieth century Nos. 25 and 26 comprised Addis Hall.

In 1998 planning application 98/1842/NFH by (Harris) Manchester College to demolish this house and No. 25 next door and replace it with a three-storey four-bedroom replacement dwelling to provide accommodation for the College Chaplain was refused.

26 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

John F. Wood (40), a surgeon, lived here with Juliana (35), who was probably his wife; Frances (25) who may have been his sister; and Juliana (11), Margaretta (9), Harry (7), Frederick (4), Frances (3), and Emma (1). They had three female servants.

1851

No. 26
Alfred King
(27), a schoolmaster, lived here with his schoolmistress wife Sarah (25) and their daughter Elizabeth (4). They had one house servant, and three boys aged between 7 and 9 boarding with them.

No. 26½
James Reeves
(33), a college servant, lived here with his wife Ann (30) and their son William (1). They had one servant.

1861

Sarah Arthur (46), a schoolmistress, lived here with Clara Fischer (28), a governess, and seven female pupils aged between 9 and 20. They had two servants.

1881

Frederick Middleton (52), a college bedmaker, lived here with his wife Frances (55) and his children Frederick (24), who was a clothier & outfitter, Jane (22), Faith (18), Frances (17), and Frank (15, an auctioneer & surveyor). The family had a Fellow of New College lodging with them.

1901 and 1911

Nos 25 and 26 were part of No. 27.

Occupants of 26 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 6 yds 0 ft 8 in
Mr Dodd

1839–1842

John Freeman Wood
Surgeon

1846

Jabez Horne
Gents’ School

1851–1854

Alfred King, School (taking boarders)
Mrs King’s Boarding & Day School (JOJ 1854)

(with James Reeves, college servant, at No. 26A in 1851, and
Henry Goring, Esq.
in private resident list of 1852)

1861

Sarah Arthur
School

1866

A. S. Barling
Gents’ Boarding School

1871–1896

Frederick Middleton
University lodgings

1899–1976

No listing. Nos 25 and 26 were part of No. 27 in 1901 census.

1901–1905

Addis Hall (with No. 25)
Rev. William Addis, M.A., licensed master (who lived at No. 27)

1915–1976

No listing

At 26 Holywell today

Part of Harris Manchester College
known (with No. 25) as the Warrington Building

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home