HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

29 Holywell Street


29 Holywell Street

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1369378. The house dates from the early seventeenth century, with eighteenth-century additions. Owned by Harris Manchester College.

This house has a gateway to the right of the door, which now leads to Harris Manchester College but presumably used to lead to No. 29A.

The opening to the livery stables Nos. 29 and 30 is sometimes given the number “29½”, but is dealt with under No. 30 where it more logically belongs. )

In the early 1860s this house was an extension to the New College School boarding house at No. 28 next door. Then at the beginning of 1865, as this advertisement from Jackson’s Oxford Journal for 7 January that year shows, Mrs Gardner opened a boarding school for young ladies here:

Advertisement for school on 7 January 1865

The 1876 OS map shows that this house had greenhouses and a fountain in the back garden.

29 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

Arthur Elvey (35), an organist, lived here with Ann (35); 15 boy choristers aged between 9 and 14; and two female servants.

1851

Stephen Elvey (45), a Professor of Music, lived here with his wife Louisa (36) and his niece Bertha Purdue (27) and his nephew Stephen Herbert Trous, a student in music. Sixteen choristers from New College were boarding with them in the house, including Stephen Elvey junior (8). They had one housemaid.

1861

See 28 Holywell

1881

Henry Houghton (60), a widowed pianoforte dealer, lived here with his daughters Ella and Mabel (both 9) and his housekeeper.

1901

Frederick Armitage (73), a clergyman of the Church of England, lived here with his wife Katherine (66) and his unmarried daughter Diana (31). They had two servants (a cook and a housemaid).

1911

The house was being looked after by a housemaid and parlourmaid.

 

Occupants of 29 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

 

29

29A

1772

Frontage: 8 yds 1 ft 3 in
Mr Harris

1830–1861

New College School Boarding House

George Cox (1830)

Stephen Elvey, D.M., Teacher of music (1839–1852)

Revd William Tuckwell, Master of the School in 1861
[with the boarding house then extended to 28 next door]

1865-1866

Mrs Gardner’s Boarding School for Young Ladies (JOJ, January 1865)

John Gardner (listed as occupant in 1866 directory)

1871–1889

Henry Houghton
Piano warehouse

 

 

F. W. Spurling,
Tutor at Wadham in 1875 and 1876

A. W. Wood
Dancing master at 29a in 1889

1894–1896

Mrs Ffoulkes

1899–1901

Revd Frederick Armitage, M.A.
Lecturer of Balliol College

1905

Mrs Inge

Fred Aplin, horse dealer, listed between Nos. 29 & 30

1914–1926

Revd Alexander James Carlyle
Lecturer of Lincoln College

1935–1936

Revd J. H. Weatherall
Principal of Manchester College

1945–1947

Revd R. Nicol Cross, M.A., Principal & bursar, Manchester College

1951

Planning application 51/01924/A_H. Converted into three flats

1952–1956

Misses Carlyle


Revd Sidney Spencer, M.A.,
Principal, Manchester College
at “The Lodge, Martineau Arch” in 1956

1956–1966

Revd Lancelot Garrad at 29A

1967

M. Hester at 29A

1970

No listing

J. McRae Duff at 29A

1972–1976

M. Hester at 29A

At 29 Holywell today

Part of Harris Manchester College

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home