HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

32 Holywell Street


32 Holywell Street

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1047230. A seventeenth-century house with an early nineteenth-century front. Owned by Wadham College.

The archway on the right led to Brasenose College stables, which were behind No. 31 next door and back-to-back with the livery stables at No. 30.

This was a doctor’s house for about a hundred years; then in 1947 it became a chiropodist’s. From 1962 to 1976 it formed the University’s Faculty of Music with No. 33 next door.

32 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

Elizabeth Morrell (60), independent, lived here with another independent lady and one male and two female servants.

1851

Robert Jackson (40), a Physician, lived here with his wife Margaret (31) and five servants: a footman, groom, cook, housemaid, and kitchenmaid.

1861

Robert Jackson (50), a physician, still lived here with his wife Margaret (41), and their children Mary (6) and Francis (2). They had five servants: a footman, nurse, cook, housemaid, and kitchenmaid.

1881

Robert Jackson (70), a physician, still lived here with his wife Margaret (61) and his daughter Mary (26). They had four servants: a cook, a housemaid, a general servant, and a kitchenmaid.

1901

Dr Walter Brooks was away on census night, but the house was occupied by his wife Adelaide Brooks (41) and his children Adelaide (15), Gwendoline (13), and John (11). They had three servants (a cook and two housemaids).

1911

William Sturrock (30), a medical practitioner, lived here with his wife May and three servants.

 

Occupants of 32 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 14 yds 1 ft 3 in
Mr Watson

1841

Miss Elizabeth Morrell
Independent

1851–1887

Robert Jackson, M.D.
Physician

1889

Revd G. R. Browne

1894–1916

Walter Tyrrell Brooks, Physician
Litchfield Trust lecturer in medicine, and later one of the Coroners for the University

1911–1942

William Duncan Sturrock, Physician & Surgeon
(with Walter Tyrrell Brooks and Robert Lynam in 1916)

1947–1960

Miss H. J. Norwood, M.Ch.S., chiropodist

with Basil A. Brickwood (1952–1958) and H. J. Brickwood (from 1960)

1962–1976

Oxford University Faculty of Music
(with No. 33 next door)

At 32 Holywell today

Part of Wadham College

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home