HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

Holywell Music Room, 34 Holywell Street


Holywell Music Room

Holywell Music Room: above, after restoration in 2009; below: drawn by W. A. Delamotte and engraved by Orlando Jewitt in about 1830.

Holywell Music Room

The Music Room in 1976

 

Left: The 1876 OS map shows a curved garden behind the Music Room, adjoining the garden of No. 33 to the right.

Holywell Music Room is a Grade II* listed building: List Entry Number 1047232

The construction of the building started in 1742 to the design of the Revd Dr Thomas Camplin (Vice-Principal of St Edmund Hall and Archdeacon of Taunton),at a cost of £1,263 10s. The Music Room opened in 1748, and is probably one of the earliest buildings in Europe erected specially for musical performances.

Pevsner writes that the Music Room “looks exactly like a large Nonconformist chapel, with its white pedimented three-bay front”. Inside, the two chandeliers were hung in Westminster Hall for the Coronation of George IV, and were given by the King to Wadham College. The organ is probably Dutch, of c.1800.

Nineteenth-century directories show that the Music Room then had a resident Keeper or Musician. In the early twentieth century it became the home of the Oxford University Music Club, which moved next door to the Faculty of Music at No. 33 in about 1953.

 

Holywell Music Room website

34 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

William Dicks (50), an upholsterer, lived here with Mary (60).

1851

William Dicks (60), an upholsterer, lived still here with his wife Mary (73) and their daughter Rhoda (30), who was a teacher of French and music.

1861

William A. Dicks (70), now a widower and described as a gentleman, lived here with his daughter Rhoda (50) and one female servant.

1881

William Ellard (47), described as a musician and the Keeper of the Music Room, lived here with his wife Emma (47), his son Harry (14), and his father-in-law William Bishop (a 73-year-old brick and tile maker). The family had one servant, a laundress.

1901

Frank J. Sanders (34), a compositor and caretaker, lived here with his wife Annie (30) and his children Wilfred (8), Joy (6), Edgar (3), and Hilda (1).

1911

No listing.

Occupants of the Music Room at 34 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 25 yds 0 ft 0 in
Musick Room

1841–1889

William Andrew Dicks
Upholsterer; Auctioneer & Appraiser; Insurance agent

1875–1881

William Ellard
“Musician” in 1875 and 1876, and “Keeper” in 1889 and 1894

1896–1952

Oxford University Music Club and Union
Frank James Sanders, Manager (1896–1916)

At 34 Holywell today

Holywell Music Room

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home