HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

39 Holywell Street


39 Holywell Street

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1047237. The house has an eighteenth-/nineteenth-century front on an earlier building, possibly a seventeenth-century core. It was altered in 1971.

To the right of No. 39 and passing is a back entrance to the King’s Arms.

On 10 May 1955 the Estates Bursar of Wadham College was granted planning permission (application 55/04421/A_H) to convert the top two floors to a bookshop. Prior to that date, the building was numbered as follows:

  • 39A: Shop (now considered part of No. 38)
  • 39B: Offices
  • 39C: Rooms for undergraduates on first and second floors.

39 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

The 1841 census for Holywell does not give house numbers, but it is possible to deduce where people listed that year lived by examining directory entries between 1839 and 1842 and later censuses

Not listed: possibly vacant.

1851

Abraham Walker (29), a master groom employing one man, lived here with his sister Caroline (27), who acted as his housekeeper, and one servant. Two graduates were lodging with them.

1861

Alfred Barling (29), a private schoolmaster, lived here with his wife Sara (31), his four-year-old nephew, and a 13-year-old boarder. They had one female servant.

1871

George Gillman (28), a bootmaker employing four persons, lived here with his children Rose (23) and Sarah (16), plus his apprentice and one servant.

1881

Richard Gillman (31), a bootmaker, lived here with his wife Margaret (29) and his children William (5), Grace and Bertha (both 4), Percy (2), and Ethel (4 months). They had a nurse and a general servant.

1891

Margaret Ann Gillman (39), now widowed and herself listed as a bootmaker, lived here with her children Grace and Bertha (both 14), Percy (12), Gertrude (10), and Ada (8). They had one servant.

1901

Margaret Gillman, described as a boot manufacturer, still lived here with her daughters Bertha (24) and Ada (18), who was a tailor.

1911

No listing.

Occupants of 39 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 11 yds 2 ft 3 in
Mrs Langford

1830–1839

Paul Hicks
Grocer & cheesemonger

1842–1852

John Walker, Grocer (to 1846)
Abraham Walker, Grocer (by 1851)

1861

Alfred Barling
Private schoolmaster

1866–1947

Richard Gillman, Boot maker by 1866

Gillman & Son, Boot maker; 1871; R. V. Gillman, 1872

Richard Gillman junior, Boot maker by 1881

Mrs Richard Gillman, Boot maker, 1899–1921
(with William Franklin, livery stable in 1894–1896; H. J. Fletcher, livery stable, in 1899;
and James William Hearn, jobmaster, in 1916)

Richard William Gillman, Boot maker by 1935

1952–1954

Geoffrey Miller, Antique dealer (Holywell Antiques, W. H. Ridler in 1954)
P. D. Pike & Co., Insurance brokers
Gabbitas Thring & Co. Ltd, Scholastic agency
National Institute of Houseworkers Ltd

1956–1969

Blackwell’s Music Shop

1970–1976

No listing

Today

Tuck Shop

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home