HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

40 Holywell Street


40 Holywell Street

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1335897 (jointly with main part of the King’s Arms on the corner).

This house dates from the early eighteenth century. It is owned by Wadham College.

On 18 September 1607, when a licence was granted to “Thomas Francklyn of Holywell, dwelling at a house called the Augustyn Friers, which is very fit for an inn” to open his inn here with the sign of the King’s Arms on 18 September 1607. This is the present King’s Arms at the north-west end of Holywell Street. The following year, there was plague in Oxford, and it may have struck at this inn, for the council record for 30 July 1608 states:

It is agreed that some two women shalbee procured to goe into Francklin’s howse to bury the mayde that is now dead, and that they shalbee kept with sufficient dyet and mayntenaunce either in that howse or in some cabin that shalbee buylt; and moreover that order shalbee taken for erecting of cabins as necessitie shall requier in place conveinent as may bee gotten.

The following advertisement, which appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 11 June 1791, indicates that the inn on the corner was rebuilt in the early 1790s:

KING’S ARMS INN, OXFORD

ELIZABETH CECIL takes this Method of acquainting her Friends and the Publick, That she has rebuilt and greatly enlarged the above INN; which she has also new furnished and fitted up in the neatest Manner for the Reception and Accommodation of such of the Nobility, Gentry, and Others as shall be pleased to honour the House with their future favours:— She also feels it is her duty most gratefully to acknowledge the kind Patronage she has experienced since the death of her late Husband; the continuation of which she hopes to merit by the most unremitted attention to the Business, and by constantly providing the best Wines and neatest Liquors of every Kind; together with a well Stored Larder, due Continence, and civil Treatment.

N.B. Neat Post Chaises, Post Coach &c. careful Drivers, and fresh able Horses.— NO STAGE COACHES.

King's Arms in 1876

The above detail from the 1876 OS map shows No. 40 Holywell Street fully integrated into the main pub building on the corner, with No. 39 nestling into the eastern corner. The wide entrance to King’s Arms Yard is just to the east of No. 39. This yard was painted by J. A. Shuffrey in c.1907 (OXCMS: 2002.74,7, pictured on p. 43 of Lauren Gilmour and Margaret Shuffrey, J. A. Shuffrey 1859–1939: An Oxford Artist’s Life Remembered).

Picture of the former Augustine Friary on Parks Road

Interesting memorial to Elizabeth Franklin,
wife of the first landlord, in St Cross Church (now Balliol Historic Collections Centre)

King's Arms
Above: The main part of the King’s Arms faces Parks Road

40 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

Frederick Stone (30), the innkeeper of the King’s Arms, lived here with Sarah (20), Eliza (35), 13 independent people who were presumably guests at the inn, and nine male and four female servants.

1851

Frederick Stone (42), now described as the landlord of the King’s Arms Hotel, still lived here with his wife Sarah (48) and six servants (a cook, housemaid, under-housemaid, kitchen-maid, boots, and ostler).

1861

The head of the household was away, and a waiter, two porters, a chambermaid, housemaid, and a female superintendant, plus one guest (an undergraduate) stayed here on census night.

1881

Alice Littlechild (49) a hotel manageress and wife of the head of the household, lived here with an assistant (who was the hotel bookkeeper), a student lodger, a boarder (a retired horse dealer of 71), and two servants (a chambermaid and housemaid).

1901

Edward George (43), a hotel proprietor, lived here with his wife Jessie (41) and six of the pub’s servants (a waiter, boots, cook, chambermaid, kitchenmaid, and barmaid).

1911

Edward George (54) was still the hotel proprietor here, with his wife Jessie (52) who assisted in the business. Also living with them were a hotel assistant and six hotel servants (a cook, chambermaid, kitchenmaid, porter, and two waiters). Six guests were in residence on census night.

Occupants of 40 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

1772

Frontage: 21 yds 0 ft 0 in(this must be the whole side of the pub, not just No. 48)
Mr Stone

1841–1926

King’s Arms Hotel (and at Parks Road)

Some Landlords:
Charles Cox (1830)
Jane Cox (1839)
Frederick Stone (& fly proprietor) (1841–1852)
Eliza Cox & Frederick Stone jointly listed in 1844–1845 wine licence list]
Samuel Y. Griffiths (1861)
James Richard Mallam (1871–1884)
William Franklin (1894–1896)
E. & J. George (1899–1911)
Harry Richard Williams (1916)
Robert James Hannah (19211926)
Mrs Julia Hannah (1935–1960)

1966–1976

King’s Arms public house

At 40 Holywell today

Back part of King’s Arms

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home