HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

57 Holywell Street


57 Holywell Street

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1047239. This is a seventeenth-century house which has been altered. Owned by Merton College.

Because No. 56 Holywell has a door which faces on to Bath Place, in some directories this building is numbered as 56 instead of 57.

This house was a pub known as William IV from about 1830.

57 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

William Denyer (35), a saddler, lived here with his wife Susannah (35).

1851

William Denyer (43), now described as a master saddler & publican, still lived here with his wife Susannah (48).

1861

Manasseh Rhodes (32), a farrier & publican, lived here with his wife Ann (25) and sons William (7) and Harry (4).

1881

Lydia Alexander (30) was the innkeeper at the “William IV”. She is described both as the head of the household and as being married, and lived here with her children Lizzie (12), Ernest (9), and Alice (8).

1901

Isaac Luker (50), a widowed publican and compositor, lived here with his children Minnie (20, a barmaid), Walter (18, a college servant), and Violet (11).

1911

Isaac Luker (57), compositor, continued to live here with his son Cyril (14), who was still at school.

Occupants of 57 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 5 yds 0 ft 9 in
Mr Walker

1839–1915

William the Fourth Public House

Some landlords:
William Denyer (1839–1852): also saddler
Manasseh Roads (1861–1866)
William Davis (1871)
Edward Davis (1872)
Mrs Elizabeth Field (1875–1876)

Lydia Alexander (1881)
Isaac Luker (1884–1916)

1921

George Raynham

1926–1936

Rowland Charles Fogden

1945–1956

Mrs R. A. Cooper

1958–1960

Anthony Flynn

1962

No listing

1964

John R. Howe

1966–1967

Richard Mulgan

1970

Thomas E. Mswaka

1972–1976

No listing

At 57 Holywell today

Merton College annexe

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home