HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

59–60 Holywell Street


59-60 Holywell Street

The above building (now numbered simply 59) is modern and not listed. Owned by Merton College

The old Barley Mow pub stood on the site of the former No. 59 on the west side of this site.

59–60 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

No. 59
William Brocklesby
(30), farmer etc., lived here with Ann (30), Frances (55), Frances (7), Louisa (5), and David (2). Two stablemen also live with the family.

No. 60
John Jones
(30), college servant, lived here with Mary Ann (20, John (2), and George (10 months). They had one female servant and one lodger.

1851

No. 59
William Fipps
(66), an ostler, lived here with his lodger Joseph Trinder (24), who was also an ostler.

Presumably behind 59 & 60:
Emanuel Miles
(30), a labourer in stables, lived here with his wife Ann (38) and his children Sarah (8), William (6), David (4), and James (4 months).

No. 60
William J. Merritt
, a college servant, lived here with his wife Elizabeth (36). They had one servant.

1861

No. 59
John Bruce (51), a Scottish-born whitesmith, lived here with his wife Elizabeth (62), and his sons Thomas (24) and Walter (22), both whitesmiths, his married daughter Mary Gibb (26), and his granddaughters Elizabeth ?Claider, Lucy Gibbs, and Agnes Gibbs. [Head of household wrongly written in the census as Bruce John]

No. 60
James Prior (40), the cook of Exeter College, lived here with his wife Hannah (43) and his mother Esther (62). They had one housemaid.

1881

No. 59
Henry Mason
 (27), a beerseller and groom, was landlord of the Barley Mow. He lived here with his father John (66), who was a groom, and his mother Ann (65), who was a dressmaker. They had a coachman living with them.

No. 60
George Newman
 (28), who was a college servant, lived here with his wife Julia (23) and his daughter Emily (4 months)

1901

Unoccupied.

1911

No. 59 (and presumably 60)
Thomas Byles (68), a college servant, lived here with his wife Agnes (61) and their married daughter Hilda Alden (30) and her husband, the butcher Harold Alden (32). The Aldens had three children: Gwennie (5), Thomas (4), Beryl (2), and Lilian (1). The family had an American student lodging with them, and one servant.

Occupants of 59–60 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

 

No. 60 (left)

No. 59 (right)

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 4 yds 2 ft 3 in
Mr Reynolds

Frontage: 4 yds 2 ft 60 in
Mr Varney

1839–1852

John Jones
Servant of Jesus College (from 1846)

(but Merrill listed in 1851 census)

Old Barley Mow Public House
renamed Barley Mow Public House by 1899

Francis Brocklesby, turner (1830–1839);
Beer retailer (by 18412)

also with William Brocklesby,
Furniture broker/Wood turner, by 1842

 

Some landlords:
1842–1851: Francis Brocklesby
1861–1866: John Bruce
1871–1876: John Humphries or Humfris
1881–1889: Henry Mason
1894–1899: William Proffitt

1861–1876

James Prior
Manciple of Exeter Hall

1884–1889

George Newmann

1894

Richard Bond
Lodging house

1899

Isaac Luker
Lodging house

1901

Unoccupied

Unoccupied

1905–1914

Thomas Byles, college servant

1921–1926

Caleb John Ritchings

1935–1936

Hardwick
(Mrs B. Moffatt), private hotel

1945

Ministry of Food (Preserves Branch)

1947–1976

Miss V. W. Andrew
(with Miss A. M. Wheeler 1947–1958)
(with Contacts Secretarial Agency in 1960)

1981

Planning application 81/00204/NFH
Change of use from guest house to College hostel and self-contained flat

At 60 & 59
Holywell today

Merton College annexe

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home