HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

65 Holywell Street


65 Holywell Street

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1369381. This house is dated 1639, but the front has been altered, probably in the eighteenth century. There is a coachway to the east. Owned by New College.

The first-floor windows have the original carved wood brackets of grotesque beasts, and the two to the west are carved with “ASCS” and 1639” respectively:

Grotesque 1 Grotesque 2 Grotesque 3 Grotesque 4

The following notice in Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 9 March 1839, advertising this house for sale, gives a description of the house, the yard, and the second house in the yard:

Slatter house for sale

Another advertisement for this property appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal for 30 September 1854:

To Cabinet-Makers, Upholsterers, Brokers, &c.

TO be DISPOSED OF, THE STOCK in TRADE, extensive YARD, and WORKSHOPS, occupied by the late Mr.  Henry Maxey, where a flourishing trade has been carried on for several years; the situation is very good, in the centre of Holywell-street, No. 65. The House, which is well adapted for letting lodgings, contains thirteen rooms, may be entered on immediately; the Furniture and Sock in Trade to be taken at a fair valuation, as the widow is leaving Oxford. Rent very moderate. A Lease may be had, if required.

Jane Burden gave 65 Holywell as her place of residence when she married William Morris in 1859. The 1861 census shows that her parents and her sister Elizabeth were in fact then living in the house in Brooks’ Yard behind the main house.

Photographs by Henry Taunt:

65 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

1851

No. 65
Henry Maxey
(52), a cabinet maker, lived here with his wife Esther (40) and his nephew George Lovegrove (16), who was his apprentice.

”Cottage in yard at No. 65”
John Slatter
(68), a widowed carpenter, lived here.

1861

No. 65
Moses Brooks
(61), a farrier & dairyman, lived here with his wife Ann (58) and his son George (17), who was a law clerk in the probate court.

Brooks’ Yard
(1) Robert Godfrey (31), a college servant, lived here with his wife Sarah (38)
(2) Robert Burden (53), an ostler born in Stanton Harcourt, lived here with his wife Ann (36), born in Alvescot, and their younger daughter Elizabeth (19).

1881

No. 65: Albert W. Brooks (39), a dairyman, lived here with his wife Elizabeth (36) and his daughter Annie (15). They have an undergraduate lodger living with them.

No. 65A: Samuel Wray (70), a bootmaker, lived here with his wife Eliza (65) and an undergraduate lodger.

1901

No. 65: Albert W. Brooks (59), a dairyman working from this house, lived here with his wife Elizabeth (51), who was a lodging house keeper. They had one general servant.

No. 65A: Thomas Plaister (61), a cabinet maker working from this house, lived here with his wife Ann (56), and his daughters Maud (25) and Winifred (17), who were shop assistants.

1911

No. 65: Albert William Brooks (70), now a retired dairyman, lived here with his wife Elizabeth Rogers Brooks (67).

No. 65A: Thomas Godwin Hendy (74), a pensioner who had formerly been a publican, lived here with his wife Clara (54) and his son Sidney (22), who was a bootmaker’s assistant.

 

Occupants of 65 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

 

No. 65

No. 65A/ 65½ (the yard behind)
and the cottage there

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 8 yds 1ft 2 in
Mrs Slatter

1839–1852

Henry Maxey
Cabinet maker & upholsterer

John Slatter
Carpenter & joiner (also 1830)

1861

Moses Brooks
Farmer & dairyman
(previously at No. 37)

 

 

Albert William Brooks
Dairy (by 1866)

 


Mrs Brooks (by 1916)

W. Carter

Robert Godfrey
Robert Burden

1866–1875

Swadling & Ovenell
Bookbinders [advertising in JOJ from 1861]

1876

Mrs Lineham

1881–1884

Samuel Wray

1887–1889

Mr Heath

1894–1901

Thomas Plaister

1905

Frederick J. Allen

1911–1926

Thomas Godwin Heny (1911)
James Augustus Prestidge (1914)
Philip Maycock (1916)
Graham G. Hargraves (1921)
Keith O. Newman (1926)

65B (in yard at rear of house):
Holywell Typewriting office

(H. Goalen/Miss Goalen 1916–1926)

1935–1947

William Hancock

1952–1976

New College annexe

At 65 Holywell today

New College annexe

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home