HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

68 Holywell Street


68 Holywell Street

68 Holywell Street in painting by Matthison

 

Grade II Listed Building:
List Entry Number 1047241
(jointly listed with 69 next door to the east).

This house dates from the sixteenth century, and was altered in c.1800. Owned by New College.

 

68 Holywell Street was the Boot Tavern from the eighteenth century until the early twentieth century. It can be seen in the centre of the detail from a painting by Matthison in the early twentieth century (right).

68 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

James Franklin (40), a porter, lived here with Ann (40) and John (15), Ann (15), Elizabeth (7), Jane (4), and Sarah (2).

1851

Elizabeth Smith (61), a widowed public house keeper, lived here at the Boot Public House with her daughter and assistant Marianne (25). They had two lodgers: John Hearne (40), an unmarried distant relative who was a Post Office messenger, and a foreman in a cabinet maker’s shop.

1861

Job Bushnell, a stonemason of 62, lived here with his wife Martha (50) and his children Elizabeth (15), Sarah (14), William (11), and Clara (8); and his son-in-law James Holden, also a stonemason. There were also five lodgers: a stonemason, a carpenter, and two labourers (one with his wife).
Nos. 68 and 69 are transposed in this census, and Job Bushnell is incorrectly listed under 69

1881

Thomas Thornton (54), a licensed victualler, lived at the “Boot Tavern” with his wife Elizabeth (50) and his granddaughter Florence (1). They had one servant (a cook).

1901

Joseph Haskins (49), a publican and plumber, lived here with his wife Grace (47) and his children Joseph (23, a house painter), Florence (21, a bookbinder), Frederick (17, a printer’s apprentice), Ada (11), and Arthur (8). They have a 79year-old charwoman lodging with them.

1911

Walter Henry Beach (48), a plate powder manufacturer working on his own account, lived here with his wife Alice (44). Lodging with them was the architect John Egerton Thorpe (37).

 

Occupants of 68 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 8 yds 1 ft 9 in
Mr Clements

1794–1899

Boot Inn/Tavern/Public House, or just The Boot
(usually listed just as “beer retailer” until 1871)

Some landlords:
1794: Richard Clements
1830: Mary Ann Clements
1839–1842: James Franklin
1846: William Taylor
1851: Elizabeth Smith
1852: John Green
1861–1876: Job Bushnell
1881–1884: Thomas Thornton
1887: William Cotterill,   carpenter & joiner, beer & spirit retailer
1889: Mrs Cotterill
1894: Mrs Eliza Wicking
1896–1901: Joseph Haskins

1846

1861

1871–1876

1887–1901

1905–1947

Mrs Beach

Walter Henry Beach
Plate powder manufacturer, by 1911

1952–1976

No separate listing: used by New College

At 68/69 Holywell today

New College annexe

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home