HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

69 Holywell Street


69 Holywell Street

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1047241 (jointly listed with 68 next door). This house dates from the sixteenth century, and was altered in c.1800. Owned by New College.

No. 69 was also known as Tower Cottage. Mrs Amelia Tyson Brazier lived here until her death in 1847, when the contents of her house were sold. The following advertisement in Jackson’s Oxford Journal for 16 October 1847 gives a good picture of how this house would have been furnished in the mid-nineteenth century:

JOJ 16 October 1847

69 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

Amelia Brazier (50), described as a purveyor, lived here with Frederick (25) and Charles (20). The Revd Jonathan Foley was also staying at the house, and there were two female servants.

1851

John Stevens (36),a butcher & grazier in partnership with his brother (see 19 Holywell Street), lived here with his wife Hannah (32) and his children J. Pinfold Stevens (2) and H. Avis Pinfold (1). They had a house servant and a nursemaid.

1861

Jane Williams (61), a fund and house proprietor, lived here with a lady’s maid, a housemaid, and a cook.
Nos. 68 and 69 are transposed in this census, and Miss Williams is incorrectly listed under 68

1881, 1901, & 1911

No listing: was now deemed to be part of New College.

Occupants of 69 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 8 yds 1 ft 0 in
Revd Mr Hawkins

1841–1846

Mrs Amelia Tyson Brazier

1851

John Stevens
Butcher & grazier

1861

Mrs E. Francis

1871–1884

Miss Jane Williams

(with James Cowley, butcher, mysteriously listed in 1875. Although Miss Williams is listed until 1884, it appears that the house was already attached to New College in 1881.

1887–1899

”Rooms attached to
New College”

1914–1947

1956–1976

No separate listing: used by New College

At 68/69 Holywell today

New College annexe

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home