HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

New College Scott buildings Phase 2 (was Nos. 70–74)


Continuing the tour along the south side of Holywell Street from west to east, the first block of New College is the second phase of George Gilbert Scott’s building (1875–7). It runs westwards after the house at No. 69 and finishes with a tutor's house in five-storey tower.

(See the first phase (75–86 Holywell Street) built in 1872–3 for more information about the design.)

West end of Scott buildings

Part of a Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1300697. (It is jointly listed with the rest of Scott’s block to the east as well as to Champneys’ Robinson Tower and Pandy building.)

Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 24 December 1874 announced that Nos. 70–74 Holywell Street were already being demolished ready for the start of work the following year. Then on 21 October 1876 it reported:

The extension at New College, which has occupied the past three or four years, is rapidly approaching completion, at least for the present. The new block which has been added to that which was completed for occupation twelve months since in Holywell-street provides rooms for twenty undergraduates, with a fellow's residence at the west end. The buildings are fronted with Milton and Taynton stone, and the length of the front is 273 feet, with a depth of 33 feet, and a height of 75 feet, to the ridge Thre is some exceedingly well executed carving on both the College and Holywell fronts, and between the new and the old parts of the College a quadrangle of grass plots and gravelled paths has been laid out. Further extensions are contemplated. Messrs. Jackson and Shaw, of London, have carried out the designs from plans of Sir G. Scott, and Mr. H. Roome is the clerk of the works.

The five houses demolished to make way for this part of Scott's block included the Golden Balls public house at No. 71.

70–74 Holywell Street in the censuses to 1871

1841

The 1841 census for Holywell does not give house numbers, but it is possible to deduce where people listed that year lived by examining directory entries between 1839 and 1842 and later censuses

No. 70
Does not appear to be listed.

No. 71
William Ball (35), the publican of the Golden Ball, lived here with Phoebe (20), and Phoebe (1). They had one female servant and four lodgers.

No. 72
John Slatter (55), a grocer, lived here with Mary (50) and Clara Ann (10), plus Emily Farrant (5).

No. 73
Thomas Fairfax (20), a college servant, lived here with Maria (20).

No. 74
Mary Green (35), independent, lived here with Ann Green, two lodgers, and one female servant.

1851

No. 70
Richard Gillman (33), a shoemaker employing three men, lived here with his wife Mary (32) and their children Emily (12), George (9), Mary (6), Rose (3), and Richard (1). They had one servant.

No. 71: “The Golden Ball Publick House”
Thomas H. Gilder (71), carpenter & publican, lived here with his wife Jane (61) and their children Richard (38) and Harriet (30).

No. 72
Mary A. B. Sims (37), a shoemaker’s wife, lived here with her son James (7)

No. 73
William Pratt (52), a butler at Magdalen Hall, lived here with his wife Elizabeth (57) and their daughters Charlotte (30) and Elizabeth (19), who were both dressmakers, and their son Charles (17), who was a clerk to a watchmaker.

No. 74
Martha Wells (60), the widow of a college cook, lived here with her son Thomas (23), who was a cook at Brasenose College, and her daughters Sarah (20) and Frances (17). They had a house servant.

1861

No. 70
Richard Gilman
(42), a Bristol-born boot & shoe maker, lived here with his wife Mary Ann (41) and his children George (18, a boot & shoe maker), Mary Ann (16, a bookkeeper), Rosa (13), Richard (11), Charles (9), Clara (6), Alice (3), and Henry (10 months). A boot & shoe maker living with them in the house is described as Gilman’s “servant”.

No. 71
Robert Fowler (51), a carpenter, lived here with his wife Leliza (56) and his sons William (23, a cordwainer) and George (21, a college servant).

No. 72
Charles Crapper (45), a clothes cleaner, lived here with his wife Lavinia (45) and his children Charles (17, a servant), Henry (14), John (11), William (7)

No. 73
William Ogden
(31), a carpenter & joiner employing one man and two boys, lived here with his wife Susan (36), who was a milliner employing one woman. They have an apprentice milliner boarding with them, and a servant girl of 14.

No. 74
Two families lived in this house: (1) Martha Wells (72), a widow, with her granddaughter Fanny (7) and a servant; and (2) Robert Pole, (45), a landholder, with his wife Charlotte (4) and his son-in-law John Beall, who is described as a gentleman.

1871

No. 70
Wiliam Wells
 (26), a frame maker, lived here with his wife Mary Ann (25) and his daughter Sarah (13).

No. 71
Robert Bruce (40), a whitesmith, lived here with his wife Hannah (39) and their children John (14), Elizabeth (13), Jane (10), Robert (8), and Joseph (6).

No. 72
Charles Crapper (55), a clothes cleaner, still lived here with his wife Lavinia (55) and his children John (21) and William (17), who were also working as clothes cleaners. They had one lodger.

No. 73
Benjamin Hart
(37), with no occupation listed, lived here with his wife Eliza (32) and their children Mary Ann (8), Ernest (6), and Harry (3). They had one servant.

No. 74
Martha Wells (82), a retired widow, lived here with her granddaughter Fanny Lucas (17) and one servant.

––––––
The five-storey tower forming part of this block was a tutor's home, and was occupied as follows:
1881

The tutor himself was away, but the house was occupied by his wife Edith M. Papillon (33), and his son Edward (7). Also in the house on census night were Papillon’s father-in-law Charles B. Dalton (70), who was a clergyman without cure of souls, and his brother-in-law Charles B. Dalton (27), who was a solicitor’s managing clerk. The family had two servants (a housemaid and a parlour maid).

1891

No entry.

1901

Percy B. Mattheson (42), a college tutor, lived here with his wife Elizabeth (39). He had three servants (a cook, parlour maid, and housemaid. His mother and sister-in-law were visitors on census night.

1911

Three senior members of New College, all bachelors, lived here: John S. Townsend (42), Professor of Physics, and Henry Henderson (30) and Horace Joseph (48), both Fellows and Tutors.

 

Occupants of 70–74 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

 

No. 74

No. 73

No. 72

No. 71

No. 70

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage:
7 yds 1 ft 6 in
Mrs Tipping

Frontage:
4 yds 0ft 0in
Mr White

Frontage: 6 yds  0ft 9in
Mr Inott

Frontage:
5yds 0ft 0in
Mr Clark

Frontage:
5yds 0ft 0in
Mr William Billing

1841, 1846

 

Miss Mary Green

Thomas Fairfax

John Slatter
Grocery & cheesemonger

GOLDEN BALL:

James Cater (1839)

William Ball
(1841–2)

Isaac Richards (1846)

Thomas Gilder (1851)

Robert Fowler (1861)

William Hounslow
(1866–1871)

No listing.
(Golden Ball sometimes
listed as No. 70)

1851

Mrs Martha Wells

William Pratt
College servant

Mary Simms
Shoemaker’s widow

Richard Gillman
Boot & shoemaker

1861

Mrs Susan Ogden

Charles Crapper
Clothes cleaner

18661871

Mrs Hart
Milliner

+ Benjamin Hart
in 1871

J. F. Green
Tailor

1872

Mrs Webb

Miss Strange
Preparatory school

PRINCE OF WALES
Robert Bruce

W. H. Wells
Carver & gilder

1875

No listing. These five houses were demolished at the end of 1874

Nos. 70–74
today

Part of New College

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home