HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

New College Tutor’s House (site of Nos. 90–95)


Tutor's house

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1046690.

The second phase of the development of New College’s new buildings terminates to the east at the limit of New College with this tutor’s house, built in Taynton and Milton stone by Basil Champneys in 1887. It was linked to Champneys’ earlier Pandy building with another staircase.

It occupies the space formerly occupied by 90–95 Holywell Street. Miss Catherine Lloyd, daughter of a former Bishop of Oxford who lived at No. 96 next door, wrote, “6 old houses demolished by greedy New College to make way for a useless married Tutor’s house!” (see “Outrage in Holywell Street”). The tutor’s house is set back from the road, partly to protect the college from the view of the adjoining cottages, but also to prevent the cottages from overlooking the college.

An auction advertised in Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 24 January 1857 included Nos. 92 and 93 Holywell Street in the middle of this group:

Lot 1. — TWO DWELLING HOUSES, being No. 93, Holywell, in the occupation of Mr. Farrant, containing two sitting rooms and three bed rooms, two closets, kitchen, wash-house, cellar, large garden, &c.; and No. 94, in the occupation of Mr Pratt, containing sitting room, kitchen, and three bed rooms, with wash-house, cellar, yard, &c.
This Property is held by lease under Merton College, Oxford, for a term of 40 years, from October 10, 1854. Quit Rent, 1s. and one bushel of malt; Land Tax, £1 17s. 6d.; present rental, £60.

Twelve years later 93 and 93 were again offered by sale by auction, this time with No. 92. The advertisement in Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 20 November 1869 reads:

Lot 1. — A Stone-built DWELLING HOUSE, containing spacious entrance hall and two sitting rooms on the ground floor, and four bed rooms above, with capital Garden, No. 92, Holywell-street, Oxford, late the residence of Mr. Ald. Thorp, deceased, and of which early possession may be had; held of Merton College, Oxford, by lease for 40 years, from the 25th of March, 1865, subject to a Reserve Rent of 6d. and a couple of capons, and a Land Tax of 1l. 4s. 6d.

Lot 2 — A DWELLNG HOUSE, containing two sitting rooms and offices on the ground floor, three rooms and closet above, with convenient out-buildings and large garden at the back, No. 93, Holywell-street, Oxford, in the occupation of Mr. Thos. Farrant; held of Merton College, Oxford, by lease for 40 years, from the 10th of October, 1854, at an apportioned yearly rent of 6d. and half-a-bushel of malt, and an apportioned Land tax of 15s.

Lot 3. — The adjoining DWELLING HOUSE, containing sitting room and three bed rooms, detached kitchen and wash-house, with joint use of pump, No. 94, Holywell-street, Oxford, in the occupation of Mr. Wm. Belcher; held by the same lease, and subject to the same rents, as Lot 2, and an apportioned Land Tax of 12s. 6d.

90–95 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

No. 90
Robert Fowler (30), a carpenter, lived here with Louisa (35), William (3), and George (19 months).

No. 91
Nathaniel Harrison
(35), a college servant, lived here with Susannah (30), Mary (10), James (8), Nathaniel (5), Edward (3), and Henry (1).

No. 92
John Harris (40), a college servant, lived here with Sophia (40), Elizabeth (20), John (19), Thomas (17), Sophia (15), Samuel (14), Ann (13), Henry (11), George (7), and Charles (5), plus one lodger.

No. 93
Thomas Farrant
(45), a college servant, lived here with his wife Jane (40) and his children Charles (10), Thomas (9), Charlotte (7) and Edward (3). They had one lodger and one female servant.

No. 94
Charlotte Simmons (50), a sempstress, lived here with Harriet (20); Thomas (15), who was a compositor; Robert (11); and Sarah (10). Another woman called Mary Paine also lived here with Sarah (8 months).

No. 95
Ann Foreman
(45), a clear starcher, lived here with Eve Foreman (45), a dressmaker.

1851

No. 90
Robert Fowler (43), a journeyman carpenter & publican, still lived here with his wife Louisa (45) and their children William (13) and George (11).

No. 91
Nathaniel Harrison
(46), a college servant, still lived here with his wife Susana (44) and their children Mary (21), Nathaniel (15), Edward (12), Henry (11), and Louisa (3).

No. 92
John Harris (54), a college servant, still lived here with his wife Sophia (56) and his children Sophia (24), Samuel (23), who was a cook, Henry (20), who was a college servant, George (17), who was a clerk, and Charles (14), who was still at school. They had one servant.

No. 93
Thomas Farrant
(56), a widowed college servant, still lived here with his children Thomas (18), who was a college servant, Charlotte (16), and Emily (14), and his unmarried sister-in-law Susan Dowse (51), who acted as his housekeeper.

No. 94
Richard Walter (47), a carpenter, lived here with his wife Sophia (48) and his children Sarah (10) and Henry (5), and his nephew John Clark (15).

No. 95
Ann Foreman
(65), a laundress, still lived here with her sister Eve (66). Both were unmarried.

1861

No. 90
Joseph Thompson
(38), a painter & publican, lived here with his wife Rhoda (4) and his children Rhoda (5), Martha (4), and Tom (2). An Islington-born organ builder, John Smith (35) is lodging with them.

No. 91
James Farrant
(43), a gardener, lived here with his wife Lucy (40) and his children Ellen (15), Eliza (12), James (10), Mary (9), Henry (6), Robert (4), and Grace (3).

No. 92
William Thorp
(a widower of 75), described as “Alderman and Justice of the Peace”, was living here with his widowed sister Susannah Folker (67) and her daughter Emma (28). They had one servant.

No. 93
Thomas Farrant
(a widower of 64), a coal merchant, lived here with his children Thomas (29) and Emily (24). They have a 15-year-old servant girl.

No. 94
Described as uninhabited.

No. 95
Eve Foreman
(80), an unmarried fundholder, lived here with her 50-year-old companion Elizabeth Gunston.

1881

No. 90
William Cotterill
 (28), a carpenter & licensed victualler, lived here with his wife Agnes (30) and son Hubert (3).

No. 91
Described as uninhabited

No. 92
Sampson Francombe
(45), a college servant, lived here with his wife Sophia (43) and his children Sophia (13), Samson (12), Margaret (10), Henry (9), Archibald (6), and Lancelot (4). They have one general servant.

No. 93
Emily Farrant
(44), a single woman described as a coal merchant, lived here with her brother, Edward (43), who was her manager and one general servant.

No. 94
William Castle (79), a college servant, lived here with his wife Mary (62).

No. 95
William Tollitt
(40), a tailor, lived here with his wife Elizabeth (30) and his children William (18 and a tailor), Sarah (16), Percy (14 and a compositor), Lilly (11), Louisa (2), and Reginald (3 months).

1901

The tutor who lived in this house was away, and it was occupied by his three servants (a cook and two parlour maids).

1911

The tutor who lived in this house (described as having 15 rooms) was away, and it was occupied by his four servants (a cook, parlourmaid, housemaid, and kitchenmaid).

 

Occupants of 89–95 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

 

No. 95

No. 94

No. 93

No. 92

No. 91

No. 90

1772
Survey
of 
Oxford

Frontage:
4yd 1ft 6in
Mrs Franklin

Frontage:
3yd 1ft 0in
Mrs Dawney

Frontage:
5yd 1ft 2in
Mr Pepall

Frontage:
8yd 0ft 3in
Mr Henly

Frontage:
5yd 2ft 6in
Mr Rawlins senior

Frontage:
5yd 2ft 3in
Mrs Dod

1841

Ann Freeman
Clear starcher
to 1851

Mrs Eve Foreman from 1861, with Elizabeth Gunston

William Simmons, tailor 

Charlotte Simmons (by 1841)

Thomas Farrant
 (1841)

Described as Coal merchant from 1861

John Harris

Nathaniel Harrison

HORSE & JOCKEY

Landlords

1830–1842
Mary Thompson

1840: John Fowler (carpenter)

1841–1852: Robert Fowler

1861: William Cotterill

1861–1875: Joseph Thompson

1876:
Eliza Watson

1884:
William Cotterill (carpenter & joiner, beer & spirit retailer)

1851

Richard Walter (1851)

Mr Pratt (1857)

1861

Miss Adams (directory)

Uninhabited
(census)

Alderman William Thorp

Uninhabited
(1861 census)

James A. Farrant
Gardener
(directories from 1861)

1866

William Belcher, carpenter

1871

No listing

No listing

Sampson Francomb or Francombe

1872–
1876

William Tollit
or Tollett
or Tollitt
Tailor

(moved to 15 when house demolished)

William Castle
College servant

John Ring
Porter at New College to 1876 (had to move here from 84 when that was demolished)

Miss Ring in 1884

1884
1887

W. Porter

1889–
1891

Rooms attached to New College

1894

Revd Hereford Brooke George, M.A.
Fellow of New College & Dean of Arts

1896–
1921

John Baron Moyle, C.C.L.
Bursar of New College

1926–
1976

Not separately listed: treated as part of New College

Present

Part of New College

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home