HOLYWELL, OXFORD

Back
Next

100 Holywell Street


100 Holywell Street

Photograph of 100 Holywell Street by Henry Taunt

Grade II Listed Building: List Entry Number 1047242. This is an early seventeenth-century house with a remodelled eighteenth-century range to the east. It was altered in 1970.

It was numbered 60 Holywell Street until 1837, and thereafter 100 Holywell Street.

This house originally had a very long frontage of 51 yards, as it included land to the east that in the nineteenth century was occupied by livery stables and the Jackson’s Oxford Journal printing office. In 1910 William Morris built his garage on that site and its land was thenceforth considered to be part of Long Wall rather than Holywell Street. For more information (and the 1876 OS map showing this house and its land to the west), see 21 Longwall Street.

100 Holywell Street was occupied by the master of the livery stables to the west in 1841, and then by people connected with Jackson’s Oxford Journal from 1851. Although the adjacent printing office moved out in 1894 and the newspaper was sold in 1899 to the Oxford Times Company, Hugh Hall, its proprietor, remained in this house until 1926.

100 Holywell Street in the censuses

1841

Christopher Waddell (45), a coach master with livery stables to the west, lived here with Sarah (45) who was probably his wife, and Sophia (15), Rose (14), Charlotte (12), Cornelia (10), Agnes (6), and Philip (3) who were probably his children. An independent lady, a governess, and three female servants lived with the family.

1851

Jonathan Lowndes (61), described as printer & publisher of the “Oxford Journal” employing 5 men, 5 boys”, lived here with his wife Hannah (59) and their children Jonathan (33), who was a clerk at the “Oxford Journal office”, Cecilia (27), Helen (24), Edwin (22), who was a banker’s clerk, and Anna (16). They had one servant. (In 1841 Lowndes had lived at No. 98.)

1861

Jonathan Lowndes (a widower of 71), the Superintendent of the Printing Office of Jackson’s Oxford Journal and the employer of six men and two boys, still lived here with his unmarried daughters Cecilia (37), who was a governess, and Anne (26). The family had one servant.

1881

Thomas F. Plowman (36), a newspaper editor, lived here with his wife Ann and his children Florence (8) and Joseph (6). The family had a female servant and a 13-year-old nursemaid.

1901

Hugh Hall (52), a barrister and journalist, lived here with his wife Eleanor (38) and his widowed mother-in-law Mary Hopkins (60). They had three servants a cook and two housemaids).

1911

This ten-roomed house was occupied just by the family cook, who had a shop assistant friend visiting.

Occupants of 100 Holywell Street listed in directories etc.

1772
Survey of Oxford

Frontage: 51 yds 0 ft 0 in
Mr Pepall: House and yard [includes land now occupied by old Morris Garage]

1839–1846

Christopher J. Waddell
Coach Proprietor [who ran his business to the west of the house]

1852

No listing

1861–1876

Oxford Journal Printing Office:
Jonathan William Lowndes

+ Holywell Gardens: F. T. Higgs in 1871
(Holywell Gardens ran between the Slype and the back of Holywell Street
until New College expanded to the north of the city wall: see map)

1881–1883

Thomas Plowman
Editor & General Manager of Jackson’s Oxford Journal

1884–1926

Hugh Hall, M.A., D.C.L., J.P.
with Oxford Journal Printing Office 1884–1894

1935–1967

Sir John Davidson Beazley, M.A., F.B.A., D.Litt.

1970–1972

No listing

1973–1976

Mark Everitt

At 100 Holywell today

Private house

Holywell home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home