LONG WALL STREET, OXFORD

Back
Next

Long Wall Street: Side of shop and Long Wall House


Side of shop in High Street

Today, only the west side of Long Wall Street has any houses.

The first building (above) is actually the 96-feet side of the shop at 60 High Street. It was built in its present form in the mid-1930s: prior to that there was another large building here, used in the 1880s as printing works by W. R. Bowden, who had the corner shop facing the High.

Magdalen annexe

The first proper building in the street is Long Wall House (above): this has no number, but has its name inscribed over the door. From the 1850s to 1892, Magdalen College School occupied 58 and 59 High Street, and where this house now stands there was a passageway with a buildings on one side and the school chapel on the other.

Long Wall Cottage lay behind Long Wall House, and was built in 1856–7 as an extension to Magdalen College School.

The report of the Schools Inquiry Commission published in Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 26 December 1868 mentioned the main school-room and playground on the site of Magdalen College, and then describes the buildings tucked in behind the other side of Long Wall Street:

All the remainder of the buildings, including the master’s house, dormitories, infirmary, chapel, &c., are on the other side of Long Wall-street, in the west angle formed by that street and High-street. Standing on such a site they are, of course, somewhat cramped for room; but except for this defect, and that they are divided down the middle by Long Wall-street, which is a serious inconvenience, and must be an injury to discipline, the premises are fairly satisfactory.

 

Long Wall House and Long Wall Cottage in the censuses

Before 1901

Not listed.

1901

Long Wall House
Miss Ellen Loxley (53) had a lodging house here with her sister Miss Emma Loxley (47). They had two servants.

Long Wall Cottage
George Benfield (51), a builder & contractor, lived here with his wife Mary (51) and his children Elizabeth (25), Harriett (17), Henry (14), and William (9), plus one servant.

1911

Long Wall House
Ellen Loxley (63), a lodging-house keeper, lived here with her sister Emma (57), who was her assistant, and one general servant.

Long Wall Cottage
Two servants occupied the house on census night: a cook and parlourmaid.

Occupants of Longwall House, Long Wall Street listed in directories etc.

 

Long Wall House

Long Wall Cottage

1871–1889

Magdalen College School

Not separately listed

1899

Miss Ellen Loxley
Lodging house

Not separately listed
(The Revd J. O. H. Carter here in 1895)

1901

George Benfield
Builder & contractor

1914

Misses Nixon & Oxborrow
University lodging house
(Long Wall House)

Miss Guiney

1928

Ralph D. Shirley
University lodging house

Malcolm H. MacKeith
Fellow & Tutor in Natural Science, Magdalen College

1935

John Henry Harley
University lodging house

Mrs M. Harley (1847)

Alfred William Cripps

1936

Herbert Henry Edmund Craster
Fellow of All Souls and Librarian of the Bodleian Library

(Sir Edmund Craster by 1947)

1947

1952

William Charles Webb
University lodging house

1954–1960

Mrs R. S. May
University lodging house

1962–1967

No listing

1970

Magdalen College (annexe)

L. S. J. May

1972–1973

David M. Davies

1976

Magdalen College annexe

At Long Wall House and Cottage today

Magdalen College annexe

Magdalen College annexe

Long Wall home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home