LONG WALL STREET, OXFORD

Back
Next

Long Wall Street: Long Wall House


 

The first proper building in the street is Long Wall House (below), which has no number, but has its name inscribed over the door. Together with Long Wall Cottage behind this house, it is now a Magdalen College annexe.

Magdalen annexe

From the 1850s to 1892, Magdalen College School occupied 58 and 59 High Street, and where Long Wall House now stands there was a passageway with a buildings on one side and the school chapel on the other.

Behind the present house, Long Wall Cottage was built in 1856–7 as an extension to the school. In 1868 the report of the Schools Inquiry Commission (published in Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 26 December 1868) first described the main school-room and playground (then still on the site of Magdalen College itself) and then described these buildings tucked in behind the other side of Long Wall Street:

All the remainder of the buildings, including the master’s house, dormitories, infirmary, chapel, &c., are on the other [west] side of Long Wall-street, in the west angle formed by that street and High-street. Standing on such a site they are, of course, somewhat cramped for room; but except for this defect, and that they are divided down the middle by Long Wall-street, which is a serious inconvenience, and must be an injury to discipline, the premises are fairly satisfactory.

Long Wall House itself was built in about 1870, and was part of the school until it moved to its new building on the east side of Cowley Place in 1894. It was then used as a university lodging house.

Since the 1970s the house and cottage behind have been an annexe of Magdalen College.

Occupants of Longwall House, Long Wall Street listed in directories etc.

 

Long Wall House

Long Wall Cottage (behind)

1871–1889

Magdalen College School

Not separately listed

1899

Miss Ellen Loxley
Lodging house

Not separately listed
(The Revd J. O. H. Carter here in 1895)

1901

George Benfield
Builder & contractor

1914

Misses Nixon & Oxborrow
University lodging house
(Long Wall House)

Miss Guiney

1928

Ralph D. Shirley
University lodging house

Malcolm H. MacKeith
Fellow & Tutor in Natural Science, Magdalen College

1935

John Henry Harley
University lodging house

Mrs M. Harley (1847)

Alfred William Cripps

1936

Herbert Henry Edmund Craster
Fellow of All Souls and Librarian of the Bodleian Library

(Sir Edmund Craster by 1947)

1947

1952

William Charles Webb
University lodging house

1954–1960

Mrs R. S. May
University lodging house

1962–1967

No listing

1970

Magdalen College (annexe)

L. S. J. May

1972–1973

David M. Davies

1976

Magdalen College annexe

On the sites today

Magdalen College annexe

Magdalen College annexe

Long Wall House and Long Wall Cottage in the censuses

Censuses before 1901

Not listed.

1901

Long Wall House
Miss Ellen Loxley (53) had a lodging house here with her sister Miss Emma Loxley (47). They had two servants.

Long Wall Cottage
George Benfield
(51), a builder & contractor, lived here with his wife Mary (51) and his children Elizabeth (25), Harriett (17), Henry (14), and William (9), plus one servant.

1911

Long Wall House
Ellen Loxley (63), a lodging-house keeper, lived here with her sister Emma (57), who was her assistant, and one general servant.

Long Wall Cottage
Two servants occupied the house on census night: a cook and parlourmaid.

Long Wall home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home