Oxford History: Mayors & Lord Mayors

Back
Forwards

Richard Carey

Mayor of Oxford 1328/9, 1335/6, 1340/1, 1341/2, 1342/3, and 1345/6


Richard Carey (or Cary) (d.1349) married Alice, daughter of another Mayor, William of Bicester. Carey was elected Senior Bailiff in 1313, 1314, and 1317.

In 1322 a writ that Carey and Gilbert de Grensted be distrained to pay the rent they owed to the Domus Conversorum (House of Converts) at London. This was for a large building on the east side of St Aldate’s Street next to the Guildhall: the north side was known as Carey’s Inn or the Domus Conversorum, while the south was Grensted’s tenement.

Carey was first elected Mayor in 1328, and was re-elected five more times, in 1335, 1340, 1341, 1342, and 1345. He was also elected one of the four Alderman in 1327, 1344, 1346, and 1347.

Wood records that Carey gave to the Cruched Friars either lands in the parish of St Peter-in-the-East or money to purchase them.

William of Bicester entrusted Carey with establishing a chantry in All Saints Church in his memory, but Carey did not have time to do this before he himself died of the Black Death in June 1349. He was buried in the Lady Chapel of St Martin’s Church at Carfax. When that church was demolished in 1896, his bones were transferred with the rest to an unknown communal grave in Holywell Cemetery.

Carey’s son John set up a chantry in All Saints Church for Carey and his brother-in-law Nicholas of Bicester. He also set up a chantry in St Martin’s Church, and on his death in 1368 he increased the chantry from the revenues of the Domus Conversorum and of other tenements, including his father’s property Fouke Halls. Henceforth the chantry prayers included John and Hugh Carey as well as Richard.

 

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 13 September, 2012

Oxford Mayors home Small Shark Oxford History home