Oxford History: Mayors & Lord Mayors

Back
Forwards

John de Eu (fl. 1295)

Mayor of Oxford 1300/1 and 1304/5


John de Eu (or de Ew, de Ewe, de O, de OO, de Ow, de Ho) was the son of Philip de Eu senior who was Mayor in 1276 and the elder brother of Philip de Eu junior, who was four times Mayor of Oxford.

He may be the John de Eu who married Joan Kingston, daughter of the Oxford Mayor Nicholas Kingston.

John de Eu was elected Junior Praepositus (Bailiff) in 1274. In 1275 he was listed as a Juror “in suburbio Oxon” (possibly in Broad Street, then outside the city). In about 1286 the Prior and Canons of St Frideswide’s granted to John de Eu their whole right and claim of 6s. per annum

which they were wont to receive from the hands of the said John from a messuage with its appurtenances called Marey’s Hall situated between the land which was sometimes Philip de Eu’s on the east and the land of Jeffrey de Sawcer on the west in Horsmanger Strete [Broad Street, where Balliol now stands] in Magdalen parish.

He also received an ancient rental in All Saints parish from Sweting Hall.

He was elected Mayor of Oxford for 1290/1, 1300/1, and 1304/5.

† John de Eu died after 1305.


John de Eu’s sons

  • Philip de Eu: Anthony Wood records that Chimney Hall (on the site of New College belonged to John de Eu’s son Philip, and then to Philip’s daughter’s husband, William Mershton of Northampton. A Philip de Eu was Bailiff in 1318
  • John de Eu: Anthony Wood records that John de Eu’s son John laid claim in 1289 to “the right and property of a wall between his messuage (held of Osney) called Checquer Hall in the parish of S. Mildred, and a messuage of the Abbot and Covent of Osney called Wyger’s Hall”

See also:

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 22 September, 2018

Oxford Mayors home Small Shark Oxford History home