Oxford History: Mayors & Lord Mayors

Back
Forwards

Nicholas le Orfeur

Mayor of Oxford 1289/90


Nicholas le Orfeur (or le Orfevre / Aurifaber / Goldsmith) was elected Bailiff in 1273, 1276, 1277, 1280, and 1285.

Orfeur is listed as a juror before the Justices in Eyre on 14 January 1285. He was elected Mayor in 1289.

Anthony Wood states that St Thomas’s Hall in Brasenose Lane was called Stapled Hall in 1341 when John, the son of Nicholas le Goldsmith, conveyed it to William de Legh.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 13 September, 2012

Oxford Mayors home Small Shark Oxford History home