Oxford History: Mayors & Lord Mayors


Samuel Hutchins (1849–1927)

Mayor of Oxford 1912/13

Samuel Hutchins

Samuel Hutchins was born on 5 July 1849 at Long Lawford, near Rugby.

He was the son of Charles Hutchins and his wife Elizabeth, both of whom were born at Long Lawford in c.1817. He was educated at the Wesleyan School in Rugby.

The 1861 census shows Samuel (11) living at Long Lawford with his parents and his siblings William (16), Elizabeth (14), Charles (9), Ann (4) and John (two months).

By 1871 Samuel (21) was working as a carpenter and living in the village of Newbold-on-Avon with his father Charles (53), described as a farmer of 13 acres, his mother Elizabeth (53), and his sisters Elizabeth (24) and Ann (14).

On 12 April 1877 at St Mary’s Church in Leamington, Samuel Hutchins married Louisa Bloxham of Leamington. Soon after his marriage he came to Oxford as a representative of Parnell & Sons, the Rugby builders who started to build Keble College in 1878.

Hutchins and his wife had seven children, of whom the following five survived:

  • Fanny Louisa Hutchins (born in Oxford in 1877/8 but not baptised at St Peter-le-Bailey Church until 27 March 1898)
  • Florence Hutchins (born in Oxford in 1879/80 but not baptised at St Peter-le-Bailey Church until 19 March 1899)
  • Elizabeth Danby Hutchins (born in Oxford in 1882 but not baptised at St Peter-le-Bailey Church until 19 March 1899)
  • Charles Henry Hutchins (born in Oxford on 9 May 1888)
  • Robert Hutchins (born in Oxford in 1899/1900 and baptised at St Peter-le-Bailey Church on 13 May)

Two years after his marriage, Hutchins started a building business of his own in Oxford. In that year Martin & Hutchins built eight houses in Farndon Road (Nos. 10–17).

At the time of the 1881 census Samuel (31), described as a builder, was living at Clifton Villa in Farndon Road with his wife Louisa (26) and their first two children Fanny (3) and Florence (1), plus a 14-year-old servant girl.

In 1883 Hutchins built 14, 15, 16, and 17 Kingston Road, and took out the first lease on No. 17 for himself and his family. In 1885 and 1890 he built nine houses in Southmoor Road (Nos. 1–7 and 110–118).

At the time of the 1891 census Samuel (40), described as a builder, was living at 17 Kingston Road with his wife Louisa (35) and their children Fanny (13), Florence (11), Elizabeth (8), and Charles (2), plus a 17-year-old servant girl.

Between 1890 and 1905 Hutchins built six houses on the Woodstock Road designed by H. W. Moore, Nos. 147–159.

At the time of the 1901 census Samuel (50), again described as a builder, was still living at 17 Kingston Road with Louisa (46) and four of their children, Fanny (23), Florence (21), Charles (12), and Robert (1).

His daughter Florence was married in 1903:

  • In 1903 in the Headington registration district Florence Hutchins of St Margaret's parish married Percival Loe Aldridge. of St Giles's parish: in 1911 he was Collector to St John's College.

In 1905 Hutchins took on the first lease of No. 157, one of the houses he had built, and he spent the rest of his life there.

Between 1892 and 1894 he built six houses in Polstead Road (Nos. 9–19).

Hutchins was elected as a Liberal Unionist for the North Ward in November 1893. He acted as Chairman of the Waterworks Committee, and served on the Highways & Lighting, Housing & Town-Planning, and Watch Committees. He was also a member of the Oxford Board of Guardians.

Hutchins was Sheriff of Oxford at the time of the great Oxford Pageant of 1906.

Between 1896 and 1898 he built six houses in Chalfont Road (Nos. 2–12); in 1903 and 1904 he built three houses in Linton Road (Nos. 1, 3 & 5); in 1908 he built 2 Northmoor Road; and between 1910 and 1912 Hutchins built ten houses in Bainton Road (Nos. 35–53).

At the time of the 1911 census Samuel Hutchins (61), described as a builder, living at 157 Woodstock Road with Louisa (56) and their children Fanny (33), (Charles) Henry (23), and Robert (11), plus one servant. Henry was then assisting his father in his business.

Two more of his children were married in 1912 and 1917:

  • On 20 February 1912 at St Michael & All Angels Church, Summertown, Charles Henry Hutchins (23), described as a builder of 157 Woodstock Road, married Kate Aline Johnson (24) of Beech Lawn, Hernes Road, the daughter of the timber merchant Richard James Hutchins.
  • On 31 October 1917 at St Margaret's Church, Oxford, Elizabeth Danby Hutchins (36), a governess of 157 Woodstock Road married Howard Arthur Joseph Ryman (35), a farmer of Manor Farm, Toot Baldon.

In 1921 Samuel Hutchins was elected Mayor of Oxford (for 1912/13), and also acted as deputy Mayor of Oxford for the two following years.

Hutchins was President of Cherwell Rifle Club, an Honorary Member of the Albion Lodge of Druids, and President of the SS Philip & James’s Horticultural Society.

† Samuel Hutchins died at 157 Woodstock Road, Oxford on 22 September 1927 at the age of 78 and was buried at Wolvercote Cemetery (H1/99) on 24 September.

His effects came to £24,397 6s. 5d., and his executors were his son the builder Charles Henry Hutchins and the coal merchant George Richard Stevens.

His wife Louis Hutchins died at the age of 74 and was buried with him on 29 July 1929.

Their daughter Fanny Louisa Hutchins died at the age of 58 and was buried with her parents on 4 June 1936.

See also:

  • Oxford Journal Illustrated, 16 June 1915, p. 9 (“Who’s Who in Oxford”, including photograph)
  • 1881 Census: Oxford (St Giles), 1499/96
  • 1891 Census: Oxford (St Giles), 1166/4
  • 1901 Census: Oxford (SS Philip & James), 1381/76

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 21 November, 2020

Oxford Mayors home Small Shark Oxford History home