Oxford History: Mayors & Lord Mayors

Back
Forwards

The first purpose-built Oxford Town Hall

In 1292/3 the burgesses of Oxford built a Guildhall (with a frontage of 60 feet) on the north part of the site of the present Town Hall, running eastwards behind the properties on the south side of the High Street. In 1550 the Council purchased a second property to the south of this, known as the “Domus Conversorum”. Salter believes that the building acquired this name because it was “the house which is the property of the Converts at London” and not a place where converted Jews were maintained.

Domus Conversorum

 

The city council agreed on 13 January 1746 to build a new town hall, and by August 1751 enough money had been raised. The work was finished on 11 July 1752, and this town hall then closed.

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 6 June, 2018

Oxford Mayors home Small Shark Oxford History home