The above postcard shows Church Lane, Weston-on-the-Green,
in about 1903/4
It was published by French, a Bicester stationer
The photograph below (taken by Steve Johns) shows the same scene in October 2003
Kelly’s Directory for 1891 describes Weston-on-the-Green thus:
Weston-on-the-Green is a parish and village on the road from Oxford to Brackley, 4½ miles south-west from Bicester, 9 north from Oxford and 2½ north-east from Islip station on the Bletchley and Oxford branch of the London and North Western railway, in the Mid division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Ploughley, union and county court district of Bicester, rural deanery of Bicester and archdeaconry and diocese of Oxford.
The church of St. Mary is a plan oblong edifice of stone in a modern Classic style, rebuilt in 1743 by Norreys Bertie esq. on the site of the ancient church, the whole of which, with the exception of the tower, was demolished; this is still standing at the west end of the present church and is in part Norman, with an upper stage of Decorated work and contains 5 bells: the church consists of chancel, nave and south porch, and contains many memorials to the families of Norreys and Bertie, 1620–1766; and others to the families of Ladyman, 1710–62; there is also a tablet to Richard Chamberlain, 1624, and Elizabeth (Harris) his wife, 1623; and a brass is recorded to Ales, wife of Zachary Saxeye, 1581, with effigies of a woman lying between two infants: the interior of the church was redecorated and a new organ erected in 1885 at a cost of about £300: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1591. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £150, with residence and 4 acres of glebe, in the gift of Mrs. Bertie, and held since 1887 by the Rev. John Thomas Rogers M.A. of Christ’s College, Cambridge.
There is a Wesleyan chapel built in 1838.
The Manor House, a large gabled building, a short distance from the church, was originally erected at the latter end of the 16th century and has been rebuilt; it is the residence of Mrs. Bertie, who is lady of the manor and principal landed proprietor.
The soil is stone brash, gravel and clay; subsoil, clay and stone. The land is partly arable, partly pasture and partly wood. The area is 2,466 acres; rateable value, £2,439; and the population in 1881 was 363.
Parish Clerk: Benjamin Wheeler
Post Office: Robert Porter, receiver. Letters arrive though Bicester at 8.45 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Bletchington & telegraph office Bletchington railway station
National School, for 80 children; average attendance, 48; Mrs. Crouch, mistress
Carrier: Thomas Hicks, to Bicester, Tues. & Fri.; & to Oxford, Wed. & Sat.
Bertie Miss, The Cottage
Bertie Mrs., The Manor house
Rogers Rev. John Thomas M.A. [vicar]
Boddington Henry, wheelwright
Hicks Edward Howse, butcher
Hicks Thomas, carrier
Kirtland Thomas Daniel, Chequers P.H.
Moss Philip, miller (water)
Penn John Frederick, shoeing & general smith
Porter Robert, shopkeeper, Post office
Powell William (Mrs.), Ben Jonson P.H.
Rowles George, farmer
Rowles William, farmer
Tredwell James, farmer
Tredwell William, farmer