Freeman, Hardy, & Willis, 27 Queen Street

Queen Street with horse

The above postcard was published by Francis Frith in 1905, and shows Queen Street looking east, with the New Inn Hall Street junction near the camera on the left.

The shop on the corner, No. 27, is the shoe shop Freeman Hardy Willis. This firm was founded in 1875 (see brief history), but the earliest reference in Jackson's Oxford Journal to the Queen Street branch is on 1 July 1887.

The firm was still in this shop in 1976, but had closed by 1980. The firm collapsed in 1996.

In 1998 a new shop front was built on the Queen Street and New Inn Hall Street frontages (98/00140/NFH)

Freeman Hardy Willis

Oxford History Home


© Stephanie Jenkins