Oxford History: Queen Street

Queen Street, Oxford: Parishes

Queen Street (known as Butcher Row until the nineteenth century) has always been divided into two parishes (east and west): hence the boundary marker now inside the Marks & Spencer store.

  • The old parish to the west, St Peter-le-Bailey, disappeared in 1961.
  • The old parish to the east, St Martin’s, disappeared in 1896.

South side
Carfax to St Ebbe’s Street
(Nos. 126)

Present No. Pre-1896 1896–1971 1971–present

1–26

St Martin’s

St Martin & All Saints

St Michael’s

Present No. Pre-1961 1961–present

27–45

St Peter-le-Bailey

St Ebbe’s

North side:
New Inn Hall Street to Carfax
(Nos. 2745)

Present No. Pre-1961 1961–present

27–37

St Peter-le-Bailey

St Ebbe’s

Present No. Pre-1896 1896–1971 1971–present

38–45

St Martin’s

St Martin & All Saints

St Michael’s

Marks & Spencer

The parish division of Queen Street now cuts through the middle of the Marks & Spencer store, and the above stone displayed in the store dates from 1952. Both parishes of Queen Street have disappeared, but St Aldate’s parish still runs along to the south of Queen Street.

© Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 10 September, 2012

Headington homeSmall Shark Oxford History home