Oxford History: Schools

Back
Next

Some old Oxford schools of central Oxford


School map 1900

The above map of 1900 shows eight schools just in the vicinity of George Street/New Inn Hall Street:

  • Top left is St Mary Magdalen Boys' School
  • The two schools whose labels are near the Gloucester Green Mortuary are the Congregational School behind the Congregational Church, with the Baptist School to the south
  • On the right just to the north of the New Theatre is St Mary Magdalen School for Girls
  • The large school to the south of George Street and west of New Inn Hall Street is Oxford Boys' High School
  • Two Wesleyan Schools are behind New Inn Hall Street Methodist Church
  • To the south is the Central Girls' School, now part of St Peter's College.

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 18 October, 2018

Headington home Small Shark Oxford History home