ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Nos. 9–10: St John’s College building


9-10 St Giles

No. 9 (shown above) dates from about 1600. It was once the dairy of a farm, and Jackson’s Oxford Journal reports in 1871 that the remains of some earlier buildings were discovered during restorations that year.

For at least 150 years, up to 1905, No. 9 was a solicitor’s office. In that year it was restored by N.W. Harrison for St John’s College. The downstairs was used as their Estates Office the next 56 years, and the upstairs as student rooms. The building was restored again by the college in 1962.

Nos. 10 and 10A were behind this building, but were demolished in 1906 to make way for the Rawlinson Building (the north end of the North Quadrangle). Thomas Grimsley, a “sculptor and patent roof & terracotta manufacturer” (who had moved from 76 St Giles’ Street opposite in 1841 when it was demolished to make way for the Taylorian) had his premises here in the 1840s. He designed Headington National School (1847) and St Paul’s Girls’ School in Walton Street (1848) using structural terracotta rather than wood to reduce carpenters’ bills, and sculpted the statue of Thomas Rowney that stood over the old Town Hall. He moved to a third location in St Giles, at No. 27, in about 1851.

Occupants listed in censuses and directories
(grey background = earlier building)

Date

9 St Giles’ Street

10 St Giles’ Street

10a St Giles’ Street

1839

P. Walsh & Son
Solicitors

1846–1851

Walsh & Dayman
Solicitors
(offices only: uninhabited)

Thomas Grimsley
Sculptor

William Glover
Agent /Butler of St John’s College

1861–1866

Thomas Wood
Clerk and wine & spirit merchant

Sisters of Mercy
Charity School

1867

Dayman & Walsh
Solicitors

J. Savage
Butler, University College

William Parker
Butler, Balliol College

1875–1889

John Wilkins
Butler, St John’s

1890–1893

Percival Walsh

John Gorden Walsh

Solicitors

John Wilkins, jun.

1894–188

Miss Hiles

1899–1902

Mrs Slay
Lodging house

1903–1905

Henry Brooks

1906–1909

St John’s College Estates Office

1910–1962

St John’s College Estates Office

1964–present

Part of St John’s College

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home