ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

St John’s College, North buildings


St John's College north

Statue of St John the Baptist

 

George Gilbert Scott junior built the right-hand section of the above New Building (including the gate tower) in 1880 (indicated by the date MCMCCCLXXX over the gate). It forms the St Giles front of the New Quadrangle. There is a statue of St John the Baptist above the gateway (left).

The left-hand section of the above photograph was completed in 1900 by E.P. Warren, and forms the St Giles front of the North Quadrangle

Four old houses were demolished to make way for this development. Nos 5 and 6 were demolished in 1880 ready for Phase 1 to the south. Nos. 7 and 8 were acquired from Oriel College in 1881 but not demolished until 1899, when the St John’s building was completed.

Buildings formerly on this site

Date

No. 5

No. 6

 

No. 7

No. 8

1841

George Cox

Jonathan Cox
Manciple of St John’s

Robert Drewitt
Confectioner

Thomas Tustin (Butcher)

1846

Thomas Whitlock

John Archer

Samuel Calcutt Tustin
(Butcher)

1851–1852

James Colcutt
College Brewer

Richard Castell
Pastry cook

1861–7

James Merritt
Cook

1869

Thomas Lucas

William Simmonds & Son
(Coal merchants)

1875–6

S.T. Hughes
Clerk, St John's College

1880–1884

Demolished to make way
for first section of
St John’s new building

John Payne
Boot & shoemaker

1887

W.A. Harris
Bootmaker

1889–1899

Mrs H. Smith
Milliner

1900

Demolished for
second section

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home