ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 40: Linacre College annexe


40 St Giles

The main part of No. 40 dates from about 1600, while the flat-roofed single-storey wing shown on the right of the above photograph dates from the eighteenth century. It is a Grade II* listed building (List Entry No. 1068575). It is the only house in St Giles Street that is set back from the road with a proper front garden.

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. No. 40 was then occupied by Vincent Shortland, and its frontage measuring 17 yards 1 feet 6 inches. Shortland had probably inherited this house from the Riggins family, along with their timber-yard on the site of Nos. 37 and 37A, and he seems to have lived here until 1789, as a house in St Giles “late in occupation of Vincent Shortland” is advertised to let in Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 10 October that year. He thus probably lived in this house during his first term as Mayor in 1780/1, when he advertised a reward for the return of a horse stolen from his St Giles home in Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 27 August 1781. In 5 May 1790 Shortland was again advertising a house to rent, late in occupation of Mrs Stuart.

The 1841 census shows the Revd Richard Tiddeman living in the house with his wife and their five children: Emma, Spencer, Augusta, Maria, and Lydia, plus four servants. In 1851 Lydia Mallam, a widowed house proprietor of 56, was living here with her four daughters and two sons, plus a cook and a housemaid; she was still here in 1861 with her two eldest daughters. In 1881 the house was occupied by Edmund S. Ffoulkes, the Vicar of St Mary the Virgin, and his wife and daughter, plus two servants.

Occupants of 40 St Giles’ Street listed in censuses and directories

1841–1846

Rev. Richard Philip Goldworthy Tiddeman

1851–1869

Mrs Lydia Mallam
(Misses Mallam only in 1869)

1871

Mrs Wotton

1872

Captain William Frederick Foxcroft Jones

1875–1889

Rev. Edmund Salusbury Ffoulkes
Fellow of Jesus and Vicar of St Mary’s

1890–1895

Vacant

1896

H.M. Dowson

1897–1926

J. Bywater-Ward, B.A., M.D.
(Mrs Bywater-Ward only from 1902)

1928–1932

Edmund Cecil Bevers
Surgeon

1934–1945

Paul Norman Blake Odgers
University Reader & Demonstrator in Human Anatomy

1947–1962

Trevor Braby Heaton

1964–1988

John B. Bamborough
Principal of Linacre College

Present

Linacre College house

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home