ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Nos. 68–73: Extension to Taylorian


Newer section of the Taylorian

This large extension to the Taylor Institution was built in two phases in the 1930s on the site of six houses. It was designed by Harold Hughes and made of Bath, Portland, and Clipham stone. It is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1369442). The detail below from an engraving of 1853 shows the entrance to Wyatt’s Yard and No. 73, now part of the site of the extension.

Site of newer part of Taylorian in 1853

70-74 St Giles

 

Phase I (1931/2)

Four houses (Nos. 70–73) were demolished in December 1931 to make way for the southern part of the new extension: they can be glimpsed in the picture on the left, separated from the main Taylorian building by Wyatt’s Yard

The entrance to the old Wyatt’s Yard (which was given the number 74 when all the houses to the south were demolished to make space for the old part of the Taylorian) is now a side entrance to the Taylorian between the original building and the first extension.

The first section of the new extension was opened by the Prince of Wales on 9 November 1932.

Salter in The Oxford Deeds of Balliol College lists most the occupants of Nos. 73 as neighbours during the period it owned No. 74 to the north.

Oxford Cycle Co. advertisement

 

Phase 2 (1938)

The northern side of the extension could not be completed until the leases of Nos. 68 and 69 ran out.

The advertisement on the right, taken from the University Calendar of 1897, shows what 68 St Giles looked like.

Picture of 68 St Giles
on English Heritage website

 

 

 

The plan below which dates from 1876 shows all the houses that were demolished: No. 68 was evidently a grand house, with a fountain in the garden.

Plan of houses occupying site of extension to Taylorian

Occupants of the houses that were on this site

Date

68 St Giles

69 St Giles

1839–1846

George Rackstrow
Solicitor

William Smith Taylor
Cabinet maker

1852

Isaac West
Chemist & druggist

1861–1882

Hawkins & Sylvester
Accountant

Caleb Bolton
Linen draper

1884–1890

David Price Clifford
Tailor & hosier

1891

Michael Angelo Alfred Mathews
Stationer, printer, bookbinder, &c

1893–1894

Oxford Cycle Co.
(Oxford Cycle & Motor Car Co from 1900;
Oxford Motors Ltd from 1922)
(W.F. Parker)

1895–1925

Joseph Vincent
Stationer, printer, & publisher

1926–1934

Archibald G.H. Lambert
Boot maker

Royal Automobile Club

E.J. Brooks & Son
Auction Mart

Crier Publishing (to 1932)

William Batchelor
Stationer (from 1934)

1935–1937

Halifax Building Society
(to 1936)

1937

Demolished to make way for Taylorian extension, Phase II

72 and 73 St Giles were tenements of Christ Church, and in 1829 they were leased to Mrs Dodd. The occupiers were then Mrs Skidmore, Peckover & Bateman, Munt, and William Hemmings.

 
Date 70 St Giles 71 St Giles 72 St Giles 73 St Giles
1839 William Smith
Livery stables
Charles Goffe
Boot & shoe maker
1841–6 Robert Drewitt
Confectioner
John Allen
Surveyor
John Dewe
Bookseller
1851
1852 George Wyatt
Ironmonger
1861 George Grace
Confectioner
John Richard Carr
Alderman
&
Solicitor
Elisha Workman
Foreign fruiterer
1866–9 Josiah Arnatt
Cook & confectioner
1871–2 Miss Mary Ann Proctor
Mantles & millinery
1875 A. & W. Boffin
Cooks & confectioners
1876 E.F. Greenwood
Foreign fruiterer & Italian warehouse man
1880 E.F. Greenwood
Foreign fruiterer & Italian warehouse man
T. Smith
Plumber, painter, & decorator
1882–91 Miss Lambert
Millinery & baby linen warehouse
1894–5 Mrs Agnes Lambert
Boot & shoe maker
Artists’ Studio:
Carleton Grant
1896–8 W. Howe Nurse
Furrier
1899–1916 Mrs Agnes Lambert
Boot & shoe maker
1918 Archibald G.H. Lambert
Boot & shoe maker
1919–22 St Giles Blue Triangle Club (YWCA)
1923–5 Roland B. Bennett
Watch maker
1926–30 Miss Eveline Lambert
Boot & shoe warehouse
1931 Demolished to make way for Taylorian extension, Phase I

Wyatt’s Yard

Next to No. 73 was the entrance to Wyatt’s Yard, which was given the number 74 following the demolition of Nos. 74–78. Margaret Wyatt is listed as the builder there from 1846 to 1861. At the time of the 1861 census she was aged 78 and described as the employer of 56 men. The firm is listed as G. Wyatt & Son (Masons & builders) from 1866–91. By the time of the 1881 census Thomas Wyatt was in residence, described as the employer of 60 men.

George Wyatt, the ironmonger at No. 70, also owned Nos. 66 and 67, moving into the latter in the 1860s after he had rebuilt it.

The engraving below (made by Frederick Charles Richards in about 1912) shows the shops demolished in 1931 to make way for the first Taylorian extension. The shop names that can be read on the original are Lambert at No. 73 on the left (next to the old part of the Taylorian) and Lambert again with the number 70 three doors to the north. The shop on the right (No. 69) was spared until its lease ran out in 1937.

Shops on Taylorian site

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home