Back
Next

Oxford Ghost Signs: Curry's at 92 Cowley Road


Curry's, 92 Cowley Road

[Side of shop] TOYS & BABY CARRIAGES Curry's CYCLES AND RADIO

[Front of shop] ACCESSORIES Curry's CYCLES

This sign is above the ground-floor windows on the side and front of 92 Cowley Road, which is on the corner of Stockmore Street. The present occupier, Atomic Burger, uncovered it in 2020. 

Curry's had this shop from 1934 to 1960, and it seems likely that this sign could be the original one dating from 1934. Curry's logos from 1948 to the present can be seen here, but this one is not included and probably precedes them.

This photograph of the shop in 1949 shows that by this sign had been covered up with the firm's new 1948 logo, advertising just radio and cycles, and that another large sign had been painted on the brickwork of the building reading: “Currys / limited / FOR CYCLES / ACCESSORIES / WIRELESS / GRAMOPHONES / RECORDS / PRAMS & TOYS”.

Presumably when the television relay service Viewline took this shop over in 1962 they removed the newer Curry's sign and fixed their own sign running around the corner over this older one.

Back to list of Oxford Ghost Signs

Stephanie Jenkins