Back
Next

Oxford Ghost Signs: Cricketers' Arms at 42 Iffley Road


Cricketer's Arms sign at side

Cricketer's Arms

The above sign runs along the side of the Cricketer's Arms facing Circus Street, above its main entrance there.

Even more noticeable is the batsman on the chamfered corner of the building facing Iffley Road (right). This is Sir Donald Bradman, and the sculpture commemorates the match that he played for Australia in 1948 against the University of Oxford at the Christ Church cricket ground opposite. The name of the former pub (with a shift of the apostrophe) is repeated underneath,

The first mention in Jackson's Oxford Journal of the Cricketer's Arms pub in the Iffley Road was on 9 September 1865, when it was reported that William Powell was granted a licence there. The pub was rebuilt by Morland Brewery in 1936.

The Cricketer's Arms pub closed in about 2014 and is now The Mad Hatter's Speakeasy Cocktail Bar.

Not to be confused with the Cricketers' Arms
at 102 Temple Road, Cowley

Stephanie Jenkins