Back
Next

Oxford Ghost Signs: A. E. Spears at 133 Hollow Way


Hollow Way

 

 

A. E. SPEARS
HAIRDRESSING
SALOONS

NEWSAGENT
STATIONER
CONFECTIONER
TOBACCONIST

 

 

This sign is on the side of 133 Hollow Way, Cowley, which has a date stone on the front showing that it was built in 1924.

 

This was still a private house occupied by Arthur Woodley in 1930, and was vacant in 1933

Kelly's Directory for 1935 and 1936 lists Leonard Spears as a newsagent here at No. 133, and although he was only here for a short time, the name of Spears has survived on the side.

By 1938 the shop was occupied by the confectioner M. Young.

 

 

Back to list of Oxford Ghost Signs

Stephanie Jenkins