Back
Next

Oxford Ghost Signs: Hartwell's Motors at 14 Park End Street


Hartwell's in Park End Street

The letter H of Hartwell's Ltd (Motor Engineers) in a square box survives at roof level.

Hartwell's

Hartwell's Garages Ltd opened in Oxford in 1919. This photograph shows the former building on the present site.

At the time of the 1939 register Henry Charles Hartwell (born at Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire on 24 August 1898) described himself as the Company Director and Secretary of an Auto Engineers company, and was living at 7 Sunderland Avenue with his wife Edith and their son Henry R. Hartwell, who was still at school.

The Hartwell's building now on this site only dates from about 1952.

The business remained here until about 1980. Hartwell is now based in Kidlington, and has ten branches elsewhere in England

 

 

Right: Full-page advertisement that appeared in Kelly's Directory for 1927

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to list of Oxford Ghost Signs

Stephanie Jenkins