Back
Next

Oxford Ghost Signs: St Mary's Road (Co-op boot repairs)


Boot Repairs, St Mary's Road

O.C.S.
BOOT REPAIRING
DEPARTMENT
1933

Kelly's Directory for 1935 lists the Oxford Co-operative Society boot & shoe repairing department at 103 & 104 St Mary's Road. The building, which is set back from the road, continued as the Co-op shoe repair business until 1975.

In 1975 permission was granted for change of use of the building to a furniture warehouse (75/00158/A_H), and in 1978 to a craft workshop (78/00971/A_H), and from the early 1980s to 2003 it was a photographer's workshop.

The building became nearly derelict (photograph), but in July 2006 planning permission (06/00715/FUL) was granted for:

Demolition of sheds and outbuildings. Erection of three-storey building (including rooms in the roof) fronting St Mary's Road containing 5x1 bed flats and 2 car parking spaces to frontage. Conversion and alterations of retained workshop at rear to provide 3x1 bed live/work units. Provision of 6 car parking spaces in court yard (103–104 St Mary's Road and rear of 102 St Mary's Road)

Back to list of Oxford Ghost Signs

Stephanie Jenkins