Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: County Hall


County Hall, Oxford

COUNTY HALL. A.D. MDCCCXLI.

County Hall was built next door to Oxford prison in New Road in 1841, and the inscription simply gives the name of the building and that year. It was designed in the Norman style by Plowman and has been described as “quite the most abominable pseudo-Gothic Assize Court in all England”.

The building was used for Oxford Assizes and Crown Court until the new court opened in St Aldate’s in 1986.

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013