Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: Great Jewry


Great Jewry plaque

 

THIS STREET
KNOWN TILL 1300 AS
GREAT JEWRY CONTAINED
MANY HOUSES OF THE JEWS
INCLUDING THE SYNAGOGUE
WHICH LAY TO THE NORTH
OF TOM TOWER
1931

This inscription is on the Town Hall in St Aldate’s.

Before 1300, Great Jewry ran from Carfax to Folly Bridge, and many of the houses were owned by Jews, although some of them were let to Christians.

There were also Jewish houses in adjoining Pembroke Street (formerly known as Pennyfarthing Lane) and Brewer Street (formerly Lombard Street). The Town Hall itself is on the site of the house of David of Oxford, a financier, and on his death in 1244 it was presented to the Domus Conversorum, the “home for converted Jews”.

Inscription in Blue Boar Street

 

This inscription is on the back extension of the Town Hall in Blue Boar Street.

 

This extension to the Town Hall stands on land
at the centre of the Anglo-Saxon town, later the
heart of the Medieval Jewish Quarter and fronts
a new street laid out by Christ Church in 1553.

This plaque records a joint project by
Oxford City Council and Amey Building,
November 1995.

 

 

Documenting Oxford’s early Jewish history” (PDF)

Oxford Jewish Heritage website

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013