Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: Magdalen Bridge


Magdalen Bridge 1773

 

THE FOUNDATION STONE OF THE OLD PART
OF THIS BRIDGE WAS LAID MARCH 26, 1773.
––––
ARCHITECT, JOHN GWYNN.
BUILDER, JOHN RANDALL
––––
THE BRIDGE WAS WIDENED 20 FEET ON THE
SOUTH-WEST SIDE AND BOTH PARAPETS WERE REBUILT
BY THE OXFORD LOCAL BOARD 1882-3
––––
CHAIRMAN, REV. J. R. MAGRATH, D.D.
PROVOST OF QUEENS COLLEGE.

––––
ENGINEER, W. H WHITE M.INST.C.E.
CONTRACTOR, GEORGE MOSS, LIVERPOOL
––––

Magdalen Bridge 1773

 

The above stone, which can be seen from the area in front of the Botanic Garden, must date from 1883, and commemorates both the rebuilding of Magdalen Bridge in 1773, and the widening of the bridge a hundred years later in 18823.

 

 

Right: The stone in context.

 

Magdalen Bridge 1989

 

Left: The nearby circular plaque commemorates the restoration of the balustrades of the bridge in 1989–1993.

The
balustrades of
Magdalen Bridge were
restored by the Oxford
Preservation Trust and
Oxfordshire County Council
with the support of the
Pilgrim & Rhodes Trusts
as well as many other
individuals and
organisations
1989–1993

 

Around the edge:

COUNTY ENGINEER D H HOOK
CONTRACTOR - C D L STONE RESTORATION - BRISTOL

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013