Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: Parsons’ Almhouse


Parsons alms houses

IN FULFILLMENT [sic] OF THE CHARITABLE INTENTION OF
JOHN PARSONS ESQ
ALDERMAN OF THIS CITY WHO DIED FEB. 12 1814
THIS ALMS HOUSE FOR FOUR POOR MEN AND FOUR
POOR WOMEN WAS ERECTED AND ENDOWED IN THE YEAR 1816

This inscription is high over the centre of the almshouse in Kybald Street (formerly Grove Place).

Alms houses built in St Clement's

As this second inscription shows, the almshouses were taken over by University College in 1959 and new Parsons’ Almshouses (designed by Thomas Rayson) were built on the east side of Stone’s Almshouses in St Clement’s.

In 1959 this building became part of
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE through the
generosity of HELEN and FRANK ALTSCHUL
of New York City who built a new
Parsons’ Almshouse in St. Clements

Parson's AlmshouseThe original Parson's Almshouse in Kybald Street, now part of University College

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013