Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: Foundation stone of Town Hall


Town Hall foundation stone

 

THIS STONE WAS LAID
ON THE SIXTH DAY OF JULY, 1893.
BEING THE WEDDING DAY OF
H.R.H. THE DUKE OF YORK
AND H.S.H. PRINCESS VICTORIA
MARY OF TECK
BY
THOMAS LUCAS ESQUIRE MAYOR

 

THOMAS W. TAPHOUSE,
ESQUIRE SHERIFF

JOHN PARNELL & SON BUILDERS    

HENRY HARE ARCHITECT

This foundation stone of the present Town Hall stands at the junction of St Aldate’s and Blue Boar Street. It weighs half a ton, and unfortunately had to be laid twice.

It was ceremonially laid by the Mayor Thomas Lucas on 6 July 1893, the wedding day of the Duke of York and Princess Victoria Mary of Teck, as recorded on the inscription, and at that point it had the name of John S. Chappel of Pimlico as the builder engraved at the bottom left . He went bankrupt just three months later, and because the stone had to be changed to give the name of the new builders, Parnell, it had to be relaid.

The Town Hall was opened nearly four years later on 2 May 1897.

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013