Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: Sculpture on bridge at Iffley


Iffley ox

 

PRESENTED BY
LORD DESBOROUGH 1924

This bronze sculpture of an ox, known as the starting ring, is under the stone bridge near Iffley lock, down the steps and near the River Thames. It was presented by Lord Desborough to the Oxford University Boat Club (O.U.B.C).

On the left is an interlocked pair of Ds, representing Lord Desborough, and on the right is the crest of the University of Oxford. The ring that used to be in the bull's nose has disappeared.

The inscription on the stone underneath the sculpture reads:

STARTING RING
PRESENTED TO THE O.U.B.C.
BY
LORD DESBOROUGH
1924

Lord Desborough (1855–1955) rowed for Oxford in the Boat Race in 1877, when there was a dead heat, and again in 1878, when Oxford won. He was President of the Oxford University Boat Club in 1879. He was also responsible for bringing the Olympic Games in London in 1908. He was the Chairman of Thames Conservancy at the time that the sculpture was erected.

See also the inscription on Iffley Lock

Stephanie Jenkins