Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: Radcliffe Science Library


Radcliffe Science Library

 

[Coat of arms of Company of Drapers, with motto “UNTO GOD ONLY BE HONOUR AND GLORY”}

 

The Worshipful Company of DRAPERS
in the City of LONDON
erected this building for the use of the
Library founded and endowed AD 1714
by Dr John RADCLIFFE, Doctor of Medicine
and presented it to the Chancellor Masters
and Scholars of the University of OXFORD the 18th day of June 1901.

Cornelius Neale Dalton Esq C.B. MASTER

Ernest Gardner Esq, Charles Fellows Pearson Esq, Henry Hayne, Esq,
Sebastian Edward Shorter, Esq, WARDENS

William Phillips Sawyer Esq CLERK

 

This inscription is on the outside wall of the Radcliffe Science Library.

That library was originally housed in the Radcliffe Camera. The new building of 1901 which this plaque commemorates was designed by Sir Thomas Jackson and is Grade II listed.

The library has since expanded, and the 1901 library is now the “Jackson Wing”.

 

 

Wikipedia:
Radcliffe Science Library

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013