Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: Ss Philip & James's School


Ss Philip & James School foundation stone

 

+

29 SEP: 1872

 

Ss Philip & James's Church on the Woodstock Road was consecrated by the Bishop of Oxford, but the children in this area continued to attend St Giles's National School for another ten years.

In 1872 a church infants school was built in Leckford Road, and this stone in the perimeter wall commemorates that event.

The school moved to Navigation Way in 2003.

The site was bought by d'Overbroeck's College from St John's College, and since September 2005 has been the home Leckford Place School, an independent secondary day school for boys and girls aged between 11 and 16.

Headmaster

In 1879 a boys' school was built next to the infant school . (The girls' parochial school, the former Holy Trinity Convent School (St Denys's) was in Winchester Road.)

A second stone in the perimeter wall remembers George Dent, who was Headmaster of that boys's school for 44 years:

 

GEORGE C. DENT

HEADMASTER OF
ST PHILIP & ST JAMES SCHOOL
FOR BOYS
from April 1902 to December 1946

 

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013