Parish boundaries: inside Marks & Spencer
When Marks & Spencer moved into the old Co-op building in Queen Street in 1976, it absorbed an old alleyway containing this ornate boundary stone dating from 1952, and the stone was placed in a glass cabinet inside the shop. It reads:
ST. PETER le BAILEY
ST. MARTIN & ALL SAINTS
HUNC LAPIDEM SACRUM
JOHANNIS EDWARDUS CAMMELL
[John Edward Cammell
laid this sacred stone in 1952]
Two of the above three parishes no longer exist, and the two parishes of Queen Street that meet at this point today are St Ebbe’s and St Michael-at-the-Northgate. St Aldate’s, however, still joins these two parishes towards the back of Marks & Spencer.
A cross in the floor of Marks & Spencer (right) marks the actual spot where the parishes met. It reads:
The lost parishes
St Peter-le-Bailey Church originally stood just to the north of Bonn Square but was rebuilt on the west side of New Hall Street in 1874. When it closed in 1961 and became the chapel of St Peter’s College, the parish was united with that of St Ebbe’s.
St Martin’s or Carfax Church stood at Carfax until 1896, but only its tower remains. All Saints Church took over its parish, and was then known as St Martin’s & All Saints. This church in turnh closed in 1971 and became Lincoln College Library. Its parish was absorbed into the parish of St Michael-at-the-Northgate.
The parish of Holy Trinity Church in St Ebbe’s was a relatively new one taken out of St Ebbe’s parish. Holy Trinity church closed in 1956, and its parish was united with that of St Aldate’s.