Back
Next

Oxford boundary markers: Godstow Road (1837)


Boundary stone in Cuckoo Lane

 

[City coat of arms showing
ox crossing ford]

C. J. S.

M A Y O R

 

This stone stands to the south of the Godstow Road, behind a wire fence.

The stone is set too deeply into the ground to ascertain whether there is a date at the end, but the initials “C.J.S.” mean that the stone was set up during the 1836/7 mayoralty of Charles James Sadler, probably not long before he beat the bounds in August/September 1837.

It marks the new parliamentary boundary of Oxford in 1832 (map)

Not a listed structure

This is probably the boundary stone described thus by John Gilbert in 1886:
“This ditch is the boundary now around the Fair Close until the road is reached opposite the entrance to Trigg's Lane, about a hundred yards west of Toll Bridge, at the foot of which, on the river bank on the Port Meadow side, another stone (No 13) will be found, marked C.J.S.1837”.

Back to list of Oxford
boundary stones

Below: The stone can be seen on the right of this photograph behind the telephone pole

Position of the stone

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013